Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first 50 mile ride this weekend. 50 miles over 3 hours at 16 mph average. I was fine until mile 40 and then the last 10 were hard. I learned a few important things.

* Bring more than one bottle
* Eat breakfast
* Buy shoes and clips
* Don't wear underarmor under bike shorts
* Dont stop for coffee:blush2:

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
Did you eat along the way? I'm thinking you got the bonk, but it could be dehydration too. Cycling shoes really do help so you're not stressing those small muscles in your foot.
I do hope you had a good time despite the challenges you encountered.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A couple more tips:
-bring money, a 5 spot tucked in a seatbag or under your shoe insole goes a long way if you need food or beverage on a long ride.
-for some (including myself) eating regular food does not sit well while exerting myself. I have used gels in the past along with drink mixes in my water bottles...I am a big fan of ClifBlocks these days.

·
Registered
252 Posts
congrats. that's my goal for next weekend. done a 35 with no problem but never tried a 50mile ride. i'm excited. hopefully i do well.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
How long before you work up to 100 depends, in part, on how comfortable/strong you want to feel doing your first century. Ideally, you should be willing to take some baby steps. Master 50 first. Learn to eat and hydrate properly. Gradually add miles; no more than 10 percent each week. Be willing to plateau at times so that you give your body some time to just adjust. Build in adequate time for rest and recovery.

I've done long rides I for which I was well prepared and ones for which I wasn't. Trust me; the former are much more fun and confidence building. So just take your time.

·
Registered
378 Posts
30 some and 50+ miles are very different IMO. If you've been riding, 20 and 30 are about the same. You can do 30 miles without much planning. But when you do 50+ miles you need food and water(with electrolytes). According to some triathalon trainer, you need to intake 25-33% of total calories you spend on the ride...throughout the ride. Therefore, if you are spending 2000 Cal on a 50 mile ride, you need eat/drink 500 - 660 Cal on the road.
I have done about 2 dozen 30 mile rides but only one 55+ mile ride and I bonked bad...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.