Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after having the bike for about 3 weeks, I finally broke 50 miles which is a lot more than the prior longest distance of 17.4 miles I did last weekend. Fortunately the bike shop I go to is kind of on the path I set up and I got a spare tube and checked the PSI. Glad I did because I was at 60 psi and the guy got me back up to 110.

The left at 9:30 am Saturday and got back at 12:15, having stopped for about 30 minutes at the bike shop and 15 at a gas station on way back to recharge as I didnt pack anything to eat and ran out of energy. Still a bit sore but I took this upcoming Friday off and am going to do it again (and bringing electrolyte mix and some food).

Hoping to maybe do 100 miles by end of month/mid July although the biggest obstacle is the heat. This weekend will also be my first time w/ clipless pedals so hopefully that'll help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I didnt even think about the speed. Probably could have done a bit better if I had something to eat on the go. Live and learn. Hoping to drop 20 lbs by august or september as I keep doing these long rides and eating a bit healthier.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'm glad you enjoyed your ride, and I hope you keep up with it, but there's something wrong with your numbers unless you are modestly not disclosing that you are actually a world-class athlete.

The other respondent calculated correctly that you would have to average 25 mph for those times to be accurate. 50 miles solo at 25 mph would be a good time-trial speed for the average Tour de France rider.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm glad you enjoyed your ride, and I hope you keep up with it, but there's something wrong with your numbers unless you are modestly not disclosing that you are actually a world-class athlete.

The other respondent calculated correctly that you would have to average 25 mph for those times to be accurate. 50 miles solo at 25 mph would be a good time-trial speed for the average Tour de France rider.
I thought the same but thought would give benefit of doubt and let them correct. Maybe it was 50 miles downhill ;)

·
Registered
23,036 Posts

Maybe not. OP said "left at 9:30 am Saturday and got back at 12:15". He didn't say he got back the same day. So if he got back Sunday, then his average was 1.9mph.

What's even more impressive is that it was done after just three weeks of riding and a previous long ride of 17.4miles. OMG! :eek:
Even more impressive, it was done without clipless pedals and he has 20lbs to lose.

blitzinger, you really should find a pro team to join. The speeds you're riding at, you should be winning pro races left and right.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
50 miles in 2 hrs they are saying is pretty impressive. I just did my second 20 miler and it took me 1 hr 45 mins. I know I'm old but I thought I was doing pretty good
Yep. You're doing just fine.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Even more impressive, it was done without clipless pedals and he has 20lbs to lose.
Oh god I missed that. Two Eddy Merckxs within my lifetime is unbelievable.

blitzinger, you really should find a pro team to join. The speeds you're riding at, you should be winning pro races left and right.
Seriously. I'm gonna PM him and offer to be his manager.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Also, I thought going around 20mph is average?
Average for whom? Very few recreational riders or even occasional racers average 20 mph on solo rides, especially if it's not flat.

And going 25 requires nearly double the power of 20 (because of the exponential increase in wind resistance as speed increases).

Seriously, you recorded or calculated something wrong. Are you sure you don't have the bike computer set to kilometers?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Calculated again on gmap pedometer. When I calculated first time prior to ride, it apparently takes you on a bit longer route because for some reason, it won't go over a certain road. I recalculated it and it's actually 40.3 miles which is a bit disappointing. I thought I had the 50 mile. Looks like it's time to invest in a computer to take along the rides.

·
Registered
89 Posts
just looked at my "Mapmyride" Info. I went 20.74mi in 1hr 40min for 12.4 mph. Now I did have a young man blow by me with about 5 miles to go and I tried to keep him in view before I reached my truck. I noticed he was pedaling a lot slower than me and moving faster so I did change my gear to match him. I'm a total noob

·
Registered
596 Posts
I thought going around 20mph is average?
20 mph solo average is typical for lots of pro riders and/or fanatical RBR'er. The rest of us are pretty happy with anything north of 15 mph for any reasonable distance.

(talking solo rides, of course. 20 mpg *might* be a doable average for a decent group ride, but even that would be pretty fast for rec riders).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recalculated it and it's actually 40.3 miles which is a bit disappointing. I thought I had the 50 mile. Looks like it's time to invest in a computer to take along the rides.
Are you sure your data is correct? That's 20 mph average with steep hills. This is my first season of serious riding (2.5 months in) and I'm lucky to average 17 mph on really long rides. On my 60 mile ride it was 16.4 mph. My HR avg. was 152 with a max of 178. and my cadence avg. 93. I'm on a flat trail with a sh*t load of overpasses too.

While their are people in different fitness levels, it just seems a little crazy to maintain that speed for so long on a solo ride with only a couple weeks on a bike.

I just can't believe it. Sorry.

Here is why. There is this guy in my local area that has almost all the KOM's on Strava for all the segments. Meaning, he is one of the fastest riders that use Strava in my location. Here is his average for a 40 mile bike ride.

Time02:09:49
Elapsed Time02:45:45
Avg Temp77<abbr class="unit" title="degrees Fahrenheit" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-bottom-style: none; font-size: 0.846em; margin-left: 2px;">°F</abbr>
Max Speed36.7<abbr class="unit" title="miles per hour" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-bottom-style: none; font-size: 0.846em; margin-left: 2px;">mi/h</abbr>
Avg Speed18.9<abbr class="unit" title="miles per hour" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-bottom-style: none; font-size: 0.846em; margin-left: 2px;">mi/h</abbr>

<tbody>
</tbody>

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Here is my first long ride on a road bike, Ridden Solo

Distance - 50.7mi
Elevation - 1,346ft
Moving Time- 02:33:17
Elapsed Time -02:34:37
Max Speed - 33.1 mph
Avg Speed - 19.9 mph

Mostly flat course with little to no wind.

Effort Pace was consistent with what I was doing on my shorter 60 to 90 min rides. Time wise it was shorter the most typical mtn bike rides I do.

I am nowhere near the being one of the "fast" guys on Strava around here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.