Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just wondering how many of you guys carry a first aid kit, and what you put in it (if you do cary one).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I just started. After doing a lot of reading I assembled my own. I have individuall packets of Hibistat sterile wipes and neosporin, 2x2 sterile gauze pads, and 3x3 adhesive bandages, 2" roll of self-adhering wrap. Small bottle with Ibuprofen and aspirin. Store it all in a plastic sandwich bag to keep it dry.

Give them an aspirin. Hopefully you will have a water only bottle available to cleanse the wound using gauze pads and finish up with sterile wipes or sterile wipe only if a small area. Apply neosporin. The gauze pads can also be used to cover small wounds using the wrap or adhesive bandage for larger wounds.

Surgical sponges are great for cleaning wounds if you can find some. Most are sold in bulk. If I had more room I would include a bottle of sterile, saline cleansing water.

or this:
http://www.roadrashrepairkit.com/

or I would probably have bought this if I had gone to the bike store that stocks it before I put together a homemade kit.
http://www.bravesoldier.com/crash-paks.php

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Fundamental question

MWPDX said:
Hey, just wondering how many of you guys carry a first aid kit, and what you put in it (if you do cary one).
It's hard for me to imagine a situation where the injury was bad enough to require first aid but not so bad that you wouldn't want to get a ride to the emergency room. Short of that trip to the ER, rinsing with water should deal with just about anything. You can clean things well when you get home, and you would want to do that anyway. You're not likely out on a ride so long that you would need treatment before you got home. Rinse with clean water, pick out the big chunks with your finger nail, and either ride on, ride home, or get a ride to the ER.

1,130 Posts
College gave me one

My university was handing out small first-aid kits in hard plastic cases. That's what I carry. Came with some oozy stuff, some band-aids and some nice liguid in a vial shaped like a Q-tip that you use to disinfect.

I plumped out the kit with some aspirin and extra band-aids.

I glued an ID and some info -- No Known Drug Allergies, for example -- in the outside, just in case of a bad event.

This kit not going to save a life, but if I skid up some skin it will come in handy.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I don't,

but I might think about assembling a very small one after reading all this. I generally agree with Kerry that rinsing with water will cover most things that would happen, but I could imagine times when a bit of disinfectant and some basic bandages would let me finish a long ride with a little more peace of mind.

One question that strikes me about pain relievers: I think I'd avoid aspirin, and opt for ibuprofen. IME, the latter seems to work better for musculo-skeletal aches and pains, but more important, aspirin is a blood thinner (clotting inhibitor), which I don't think I'd want to take if I were riding with road rash, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I carry some Pepsid and Ibuprofen as well as salt tablets with me on the road bike. One thing I did add recently was a few pair of latex gloves. Good for keeping the hands clean when dealing with a messy bike repair. Also a good first aid precaution.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
If your busted up that bad, where I ride you would need an airlift. The only thing that should be in your jersey pocket are safety pins to cover up you arse after a mean spill and road rash. There is nothing more embarassing than riding back 30 miles to town after a crash with your entire backside hanging out.

Safety pins!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Hooben said:
If your busted up that bad, where I ride you would need an airlift. The only thing that should be in your jersey pocket are safety pins to cover up you arse after a mean spill and road rash. There is nothing more embarassing than riding back 30 miles to town after a crash with your entire backside hanging out.

Safety pins!
That actually happened to me - in a highly populated area. Fortunately, I only had 12 miles to get home-not 30.:blush2:

·
You got any chocolate?
94 Posts
I carry ******'s Crash and Burn Kit. It comes with everything you will need in the event of the worst case scenario and fits easily in a jersey pocket. I also printed out the following and keep that in the kit as well.

http://www.velodrome.org/cms/files/downloads/roadrash_care.pdf

I have 23 years of experience in the field of emergency services. This kit is well worth the few extra grams of weight.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got one as a freebee from a health clinic stand while on a ride.
It has: Antiseptic wipes, neosporin, a 2x3 bandaid, some normal sized bandaids, a knuckle bandaid, and some butterflys.
I have given out a lot of stuff over time. Particularly from chainring bites. I still have yet to use it for myself....
One more thing BENADRYL. If you are allergic to anything (say bee stings) carry some of this. You will live if you bleed a little but there is no replacement for benadryl.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sharkey00 said:
One more thing BENADRYL. If you are allergic to anything (say bee stings) carry some of this. You will live if you bleed a little but there is no replacement for benadryl.
Does benadryl work if you're allergic to bees??? Cause I am and that'd be way easier than carrying one of those epinephrin shots (less painful too).

·
Registered
52 Posts
In my experience it does help. To my knowledge it is used to curb some of the swelling and other side effects. The down sides are it takes 15-30 minutes to kick in. Also, say something like a bee stings you in the throat, it might be hard to swallow a pill.

However, it would not work for severe immediate reactions. That is where epi comes in. It will keep you in good shape for about 10 minutes so you can call and ambulance and eat a bunch of benadryl. The fact that you have an epi pen leads me to believe that benadryl would not be enough for you.

I advise asking your doctor about the issue.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I bought a tiny first aid kit from Target, and split the contents in half between my bike and hubby's bike. Nox-a-sting was one thing I thought was a great idea, which it included. Also had bandaids, wipes, and some other stuff.

I keep Benedryl and Aleve in my back pack when I commute.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Gauze pads, etc are not bad, but as was said- quick clean up with water will get you home after most road rashes.

My list includes:

Tums (calcium for cramps)
Salt & Sugar packs- restaurant sizes.
Duct tape- taped a big chin laceration with it years ago- good for bike/helmet/clothing repairs too.- wrap some around a dummy credit card you're always getting in the mail
Loperamide (Immodium)- no need to suffer from that bad burrito in the middle of a century
Aspirin- for pain, or heart attack 1st aid in remote area. Studies indicate ibuprofen is no better for pain (individual results may vary), and it "thins blood" similar to aspirin (anti-platelet effect- though for hours, not days).

All this can fit in a small plastic bag, or a small part of your seat bag.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
pill box-

on longer, unsupported rides, i like to bring some meds - antacids are nice when the hammergel bothers your stomach. also, ibuprofin, benadryl, no-doz, potassium tabs, and some non-benadry allergy pill like sudafed in case i need some allergy relief but don't want to get sleepy.

i switch between carrying these in a ziplock bag with a paper towel to prevent them from bumping around and crushing each other, or carrying in a small box like a mints box. I don't like candy that much so I will buy a box of mints if I like the box, then throw the mints out. the mint box is sturdy, but when riding, it will jiggle and make it hard to get one specific tab. the ziplock bag is a challenge to reach into. so i go back and forth.

i am so used to caffeine from a couple cups of coffee every morning, that on a ride that starts early, after i get warmed up, i will take half the nodoz, then half later.

i rarely use any of these, but more often probably have given one or two away to someone else who needs it. so you need to memorize which is which, since there are no bottles with labels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.