Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm looking into buying a my first road bike that I plan on using to commute in San Francisco (MUNI just isn't cutting it), and elsewhere. I found this bike on craigslist and am hoping that someone might be able to give me some advice on whether I should pursue buying it, or not, and why. It looks like a really good deal (almost too good), and seeing as I don't know anything I could use some guidance.
As I said I plan on using the bike to commute, and just generally get around. At first it will only be a short distance, like 10 miles a day, but could increase, and I might get into riding so I'd like to get something that will allow for that possibility (this happened to a friend of mine who bought a bike to commute with).
Thank you very much,
Mat

·
Dr. Flats a lot
742 Posts
depends

On the surface seems like a great deal. Carbon frame from one of the oldest names in carbon with a great, established and durable parts kit. But there could be looming badness as well. It has a threaded 1 inch Head Set which would make it at least 6-7 years old. Buying a used carbon frame that old gives me a lot of heebies. Carbon has never been known for durability. Could be why it is selling so low.
At that age the Ultegra shifters could be on their last legs. They don't last super long and if they head south thats a big bill to replace them. Rest of the group should be good to go for awhile. Really hard to tell from the photos how used the bike is.
I'd keep looking. You should be able to find a steel or alum frame with a ultegra kit for around that price that would not be as risky. Would potentially allow for things like fenders etc... that you may find you'll need for commuting in SF as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll steer clear and look for steal or aluminum (good idea about the fenders).
So, what about this bike? I guess it might have some of the same component issues as it is a 2003.
And, if I do continue to go the used bike route, what/where should I look on the bike to make sure that the bike isn't going to break the next week (like stress fractures, wear on the components, etc.)?
Would I be better off just spending about $100 dollars more and getting a low end new bike from my LBS?
Thank you so much for your help,
Mat

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
For the price the second one definitely more in the ballpark. As a commuter, you might consider beefing up the tires to something a bit larger and with a bit more beef to prevent against flats etc, like some armadillos or something like that.

However, as a commute, are you going to backpack your stuff, or do you see yourself getting a rack? Not sure either of these really would make me think "commuter ride".

Also depends if its a rain/shine bike. If so, steel might now be your best option, but at $600 who really cares. Swap wheels out for fast ride vs commute. I wouldnt think the bontragers would be the most bomb proof of OEM parts, but if you found some 32 hole open pros and but a beefy tire on there, you could run through about anything... for what... about $200 bucks brand new? Between the two, the second has my vote.

However, I would almost consider... if hes going to think rain/shine and looking for some fenders, etc... why wouldnt he consider entry cross bike or getting a used one?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.