Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking around here for over a year, the wife and I decided to take the plunge and integrate road biking into out work-out programs. We both wound up with Cannondale bikes (CAAD9 R5 for me, and a less expensive Synapse Sport for her). Suffice it to say, we are both now completely addicted after riding and getting used to the bikes over the course of the last few weeks.

The only things we've added are saddle bags (necessary evil) in which we carry spare tubes, multi-tool, No2 refill cartridge, tire patch kit, and a few "changing your tire" lever tools (or whatever they're called...), water bottles, Shimano slip-in pedals, gloves, helmet, and a Trek incite 8i computer. Of course, we also have the obligatory bike shorts as well.

Took a while to get used to the saddle, but after putting on about 125 miles on my bike thus far, no more pain...the problem I'm having now is numbness in areas that I'd prefer NEVER go numb. I make sure to come out of the saddle every 20 minutes or so for 30-60 seconds to help with this, but it's still a concern of mine. Sometime over the next few weeks I'm going to make a trip to my LBS and talk about what options I have in terms of saddle upgrades.

Lots of great information on here, so I'll be spending lots of time searching the older posts for information. Also just ordered a book on road bike maintenance (Zinn's book) to help keeping everything in working order.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
welcome

They're called "tire levers" ;-)

· Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
Check that your saddle is level before you spend money on another. This may be causing some unwanted pressure. Bike fit is the key to many problems so don't start replacing and wasting money.

· Registered
5,240 Posts
U remind me of a guy I met earlier this year... according to reports, he kinda dabbled in cycling in 2006... but then got bit... and jumped the learning curve right up to an '08 Madone! Now, he can't get enuff (recently made his first trip to a velodrome)!

Welcome aboard.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Adjusted the saddle slightly downward, with little-to-no benefit. I'm doing my best to get out of the saddle every 15 mins or so, even to the point where I'll get ito a really high gear just so that I can get out the saddle and continue to ride.

Not planning on rushing into any new purchase just yet, but I'll be stopping by the LBS soon to check out what aftermarket saddles they have in stock...though I'm pretty sure they only carry Specialized saddles.

I'll be sure to post updates on how things work out.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
JoeB said:
UPDATE: Adjusted the saddle slightly downward, with little-to-no benefit. I'm doing my best to get out of the saddle every 15 mins or so, even to the point where I'll get ito a really high gear just so that I can get out the saddle and continue to ride.

Not planning on rushing into any new purchase just yet, but I'll be stopping by the LBS soon to check out what aftermarket saddles they have in stock...though I'm pretty sure they only carry Specialized saddles.

I'll be sure to post updates on how things work out.
keep messing with the adjustment--if you can't get something that works you may need a new saddle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.