Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell all, i am new to this site and it seems very helpful. Im looking into getting a road bike in the next week or so. This will be my first one, ive been into the mountain biking aspect for a bit but i want to hit the road. I have a budget of about 800$, some bikes that caught my eye were...

Trek 1.2
Cannondale R400 triple
Specialized allez triple
Specialized sequoia

are these bikes good for a beginner bike? Does anyone have input on them or other bikes i should check out?
I know these bikes arent the best but i dont feel like spending 1200+ right off the bat. Couldnt i get a $800 bike, in time upgrade it with better parts and it would be as good as a 1200$ bike >?

·
Registered
638 Posts
First off welcome to the forums, youre in good company here. Thats a good list of bikes that you have so far, Id say that the specialized allez should be at the head of it. Also consider the Scott Speedsters, theyre very nice frames and decently equipped for the money. Actually they won a sub $1000 shootout in a mag a couple of months back. As far as your question of spend 800 and upgrading the answer is no. When you buy a complete bike you are paying far less for each part when you break it down as opposed to buying seperate parts. My friend just demo'd a bunch of road bikes for his first one and went with the allez elite which is 1200. Personally id say that it is well worth the extra 400bucks. Keep in mind that his has a double crankset but it is a compact so id say unless you are in the mountains a triple is not needed.... in fact alot of triples shift poorly and are heavier than needed.... especially when looking in this pricerange. If you arent aware of a "compact" crankset they use 34/50 gears instead of 39/53. Its quite a difference for a beginner and id personally suggest it because the triple wont help your case.. when you have an easier gear to go into you usually will and thats not exactly a good thing. You get strong by riding and riding and riding.. when you come up to a hill you ride up it and each time it gets easier. If you have a triple chainring the granny gear gets pretty tempting but its counter productive to use it. Also look at fuji bikes by the way... you can usually grab a fuji roubaix from performancebike for about a grand with a load of nice components..... however in my opinion which my friend that test rode them shares, the fuji is not at all as good of a frame as the specialized. but thats your choice, excellent parts and subpar frame? or great frame and not exactly the best of parts? Personally id go allez or a speedster. either way youre going to have fun so welcome to the club

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input B15serv. I looked at the scott speedsters, they seem like good bikes in my spending rang as well. but im gonna go around and start test riding all of them, to see what fits me best. I am really liking the specialized allez. Quick question on them, i was comparing the specialized allez triple to the double...i have a catalogue, the double is more then the triple but to me it seems they have the same parts, is the crank really the only thing different? and is the crank that much better to make the double more money?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.