Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My little brother just recently bought a nice bike and it has gotten me really interested in cycling. So I am pretty new and really know nothing about bikes!

I am female and only 5 feet tall . Yesterday I went to the bike store and tried out a specialized dolce elite in the xs which is 44". It was felt really nice and comfterble. But it was also $1250 + 10% discount. I was checking out the dolce entry level for 850 dollars. Is it worth it spending the extra couple of hundred for the better components? Also if any one has any other suggestions let me know!

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
sneezingkat said:
Is it worth it spending the extra couple of hundred for the better components? Also if any one has any other suggestions let me know!
Probably not at this point. Get a good bike that fits you well from a reputable shop, but the components don't need to be super fancy. Shimano and SRAM don't make any bad components these days. Even their cheap(er) stuff is pretty darn good.

So save a few bucks now and put it in the bank. Then, we you decide what kind of riding you really like to do, you can use it as the seed money to buy your first really fancy bike.

Yours,

FBB

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, well I found a Dolce Elite 07 for $880. It seems like a good price to me. The shop also gives 15% on all gear when you buy a bike, and a free fitting!. I am going to try it out today.

thanks for the advice!

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
sneezingkat said:
Thanks, well I found a Dolce Elite 07 for $880. It seems like a good price to me. The shop also gives 15% on all gear when you buy a bike, and a free fitting!. I am going to try it out today.

thanks for the advice!
If you find a bike you like (and you can afford) at a shop that you like, jump on it!

Enjoy the ride.

- FBB

· Registered
450 Posts
As a first bike, the component level isn't all that important. The differences will be mainly in the weight of the bike and amount of gears it has at the back wheel (8,9 or 10). Trek, Specialized, and others all have good bikes under $1k. I would recommend buying from a bike shop that seems competent in the assembly, service and provides continued information when you have questions.

Oh, REI has bikes too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.