1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
I had the exact same choice to make a few years ago. I went with the Specialized because I could get a better fit on it than the Giant. The geometry felt a little better for me and it felt like it had quicker handling than the OCR.

A big factor in my decision had to do with available sizes. Specialized has more. I was too big for a small, and to small for a medium in the Giant.

At your price point, you might want to look at Fuji, Felt, and KHS bikes as well. They all have some pretty nice stuff for small coin in their catalogs.

And be careful with this road thing. It may start out with an inexpensive bike, but before you know it, your dropping large coin for the latest and greatest.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
BikerBamBam said:
ok this is gonna be my first bike and i wanna get somthing i can ride for a bit. right now im an avid Mt biker, and i ride and intense spider, i have a pretty low budget of about 800.
here are my 2 choices
a giant OCR2
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?model=11331
AND
Allez sport
http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=13017&bikeTab=techspec

what you all think?
let me know
thanks
Allez Sport. My best friend bought one last year. And I ride with another guy who has one. Can't believe the value they pack into a $750 bike. The Tiagre stuff has held up well, the wheels haven't given him any trouble. Carbon fork and seatpost, decent aluminum frame. Pretty nice.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Try looking for a last-years-model Giant TCR2 - I've seen them for $800
and that bike is full 105 and a great ride. You can get a lot of bike that
was a "last years model" if you look around.

I've been riding mine for several years now - I ended up paying $1399
for it new, at the end of the season I saw the same bike for around $999
and later in the spring for $799.

I suspect a lot of the "last years" bikes have been sold by now but it
is worth a shot.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
I had this same choice in 2003 when I started. I went with the Specialized Allez Sport. I don't remember the specifics, however I believe it had better parts and I liked the looks of it better.

I have since migrated to a Colnago, but that's another story :D

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I had this same choice in 2003 when I started. I went with the Specialized Allez Sport. I don't remember the specifics, however I believe it had better parts and I liked the looks of it better.

I have since migrated to a Colnago, but that's another story :D

I Love my allez, haven't ridden any Giant's much, so I can't really comment on them, but I love my Specialized.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
gadget said:
I have the same problem, spend 800 for the giant or 500 for the allez?
I think is is actually comparing the Allez Sport, which is "one step up" from a base Allez. I think it is also in the $800 range. There is also an Allez Elite and Allez Pro.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 2005 Allez Sport Triple that I bought last September and I love it. I am just beginning to put some miles on it now and it is holding up great. I am a heavy rider and I have not had any issues with the wheels or anything else. I did strip the seat collar out and had to buy a new one but that was my fault. It only cost me five dollars and the one I got has a steel collar in it so it is less susceptible to stripping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm so glad you are all here. I bought the Allez Sport today for $600 which considering it has the 105 and tiagra setup, stuff not normally found in this range, Im happy.

Couldn't have done it without all your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts