Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I'm getting back into biking after a 10-12 year hiatus. This makes me a noob again practically. My old bike is a Scwhinn Le Tour Luxe given to me 20 years ago (and I'm pretty sure it was used then!).

My proposed biking habits: For now I only have time to ride on weekends/holidays/vacation, hopefully this will change in the coming years but for now this is all I can manage. Not sure how many miles/month this equates to but I plan on riding as much as humanly possible. The extremely infrequent race and/or organized bike event cannot be ruled out, but mostly long rides in the countryside, centuries, etc.

Based on this I'm not willing to spend more than $1000 for a bike and have narrowed it down to three. If anyone has input please share! The finalists, in order of descending price:
1) Felt F80 approx $950
2) Jamis Ventura Comp approx $830
3) Specialized Allez Sport triple approx $790

All seem to have their strong points. Anyone have any guidance for me?
Thanks!

· Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
All nice bikes, but hang onto Le Tour too

liftin said:
Hi there. I'm getting back into biking after a 10-12 year hiatus. This makes me a noob again practically. My old bike is a Scwhinn Le Tour Luxe given to me 20 years ago (and I'm pretty sure it was used then!).

My proposed biking habits: For now I only have time to ride on weekends/holidays/vacation, hopefully this will change in the coming years but for now this is all I can manage. Not sure how many miles/month this equates to but I plan on riding as much as humanly possible. The extremely infrequent race and/or organized bike event cannot be ruled out, but mostly long rides in the countryside, centuries, etc.

Based on this I'm not willing to spend more than $1000 for a bike and have narrowed it down to three. If anyone has input please share! The finalists, in order of descending price:
1) Felt F80 approx $950

Thanks!
If you want to ride a lot, keep the Le Tour as a beater and rain bike. Hop on it and ride for 30 minutes or an hour, no need for special shoes, or clothes. Your conditioning will improve if you can get in a couple of informal rides per week. Then hop on your fast bike for weekend fun. You might find that you put a majority of your miles on your old beater, and have teh most fun doing it.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reynolds531 said:
If you want to ride a lot, keep the Le Tour as a beater and rain bike. Hop on it and ride for 30 minutes or an hour, no need for special shoes, or clothes. Your conditioning will improve if you can get in a couple of informal rides per week. Then hop on your fast bike for weekend fun. You might find that you put a majority of your miles on your old beater, and have teh most fun doing it.
Thanks, I'm definitely keeping the Le Tour for rides with the family. Just needs a tune up and some new tires to be functional. :D

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
They are all fine bikes, you will do ok with any of them.

Just go ahead and pick the one that looks the nicest to you.

After all, it is your money.

· Registered
359 Posts
What matters is not what a bunch of strangers on an internet forum like. What matters is what you like. Pick the one that turns your crank.

Honestly, I have experience with neither of them. I know that Jamis has a reputation for high value so I would probably choose that one if I couldn't see or ride all of them. Another brand that has a high value reputation is Giant.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input

I went for the Jamis! You guys were right, it came down to that being the one I was most comfortable with. Sometimes I get so hung up on getting the best bike for the buck, I forget what I wanted when I started looking in the first place. In the end having the carbon seat stays and the smooth ride sold it.. the sweet paint job doesn't hurt either. (I like it anyway)
:thumbsup:

Wish me luck!

· Banned
476 Posts
very similar

liftin said:
1) Felt F80 approx $950

Thanks!

I think you will find all three of these have equal quality with frames made by Kinesis -- so there would be little difference other than price and look and component spec.

Get the one you like or can drive the best deal on
Felt dealers are more likely to knock off 15% or maybe 20%

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.