Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post though I've lurked around here for a while. I'm looking for my first road bike and I've researched and test-ridden quite a few bikes and I'm down to two bikes: The Scott CR1 Team (105) and the Cervelo Soloist Team (Ultegra).

The only test ride I did was a short loop around Central Park (west to east ad back). The Scott was a fine ride, but I actually give the edge to the Soloist. It seemed to be more stable and less twitchy even though the test unit I tried was a size larger (54, I'm a 52). It seemed a lot easier to pedal (maybe it's the components? the FSA crank?) and while it seemed a little heavier on the scale, it seemed to move a little easier than the CR1 once I'm actually on it.

My concern is comfort in longer rides. I plan to just do 1-hour work-outs as I am a beginner. But what about longer work-outs, possible races, and rides on roads harsher than Central Park?

It will be my first bike, and a cyclist friend of mine suggested that I skip aluminum and go to carbon for comfort. I trust his judgment of course since he seems to really know his stuff and he's been riding for a long time.

I might try the CR1 again and the Soloist Team (in my size next time).

Background on me: I'm 33 years old, 5'6" and 158lbs last time I checked. I'm a runner and I'm in ok shape (for my height, 158 is a bit heavy, but I did build some muscle in the gym though I could afford to lose some fat also :). My initial intention was to have a road bike for cross-training, but now I'm thinking of short duathlons in my future. Or at least, I'm getting more and more interested in cycling as a sport.

Thanks in advance for your opinion/advice!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cervelo Soloist Team

I have the Soloist Team and am 6'0" 195 and used it for several centuries and metric centuries without a problem in comfort...I also have a Trek 5200 and I found that on longer rides the 5200 got mushy after 70-80 miles while the Soloist Team just felt better...I think your insticts about it feeling faster are correct..in my case I go at least 1-2 mph faster on the same loop...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bruni94 - Thanks for the feedback. That's encouraging (although I doubt I'll be doing centuries any time soon to verify your feedback...).

Maybe I'm thinking too much about this and bike fit and personal fitness is just more important than frame material?

·
Registered
105 Posts
mhcarlos said:
Maybe I'm thinking too much about this and bike fit and personal fitness is just more important than frame material?
You're absolutely right regarding the above. I currently ride an aluminum Cannondale, and probably because it fits me so nicely, I don't find the ride too bad. I've ridden some carbon Specialized, and they do dampen vibration somewhat better than my C'dale, but it's not a huge difference.

Let me guess, you were at SBR Multisports, right? I've been thinking about getting a Cervelo from them, although I haven't had a chance to test ride either the Soloist or the R3. I'm kind of waiting for DA 7900 and Campy 11 to show up so that I can decide which group I'm going with.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mad_Hun said:
You're absolutely right regarding the above. I currently ride an aluminum Cannondale, and probably because it fits me so nicely, I don't find the ride too bad. I've ridden some carbon Specialized, and they do dampen vibration somewhat better than my C'dale, but it's not a huge difference.

Let me guess, you were at SBR Multisports, right? I've been thinking about getting a Cervelo from them, although I haven't had a chance to test ride either the Soloist or the R3. I'm kind of waiting for DA 7900 and Campy 11 to show up so that I can decide which group I'm going with.
Yup! SBR Multisports. Really convenient to the park...

I was set on the Cannondale six13 but a friend of mine told me to try the CR1 first, which led me to SBR. The sales guy suggested I try the Soloist Team.

I noted that the CR1 is a little more upright and I don't seem to do as well with more upright geometries. I had even a less stellar experience with the Specialized Roubaix and C-dale Synapse.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I have a Soloist Carbon, and I'm very pleased by it. I believe the only difference between the Team and Carbon is the material of choice, and the stiffness (the Carbon is incredibly stiff in the BB and Chainstay areas).

To be honest though, I do not think the Soloist (Carbon) is necessarily a "comfortable" bike for long distances. It fits me great, but it's so stiff that on rough roads you will feel every bit of it. I can't imagine the aluminum version would be any more comfortable, after all they are notorious as being "rough riders."

Dare I say my steel bikes are my preference for rides over 3 hours long, though my fastest rides are all on the Soloist.

When comparing to the Scott, the only comparison I can make is that I like the looks of the Cervelo better. I have never ridden a Scott, only seen them. Oddly enough I see more Scotts around Columbus Ohio than I do Cervelo, which is strange because the biggest bike shop here is a Cervelo dealer. I'm not aware of any local shop that sells Scott.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get the Soloist Team. Am in same boat as u, and ride CP. Love it, and have ridden a few centuries on it; definitely not as comfortable as a carbon bike but can't beat the nimbleness and speed at this price. It's quite comfortable for 1 hour rides. Don't forget this frame is all-out race, and was used by CSC on pro tour for years before the SC came along. Love it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HighRoad said:
Get the Soloist Team. Am in same boat as u, and ride CP. Love it, and have ridden a few centuries on it; definitely not as comfortable as a carbon bike but can't beat the nimbleness and speed at this price. It's quite comfortable for 1 hour rides. Don't forget this frame is all-out race, and was used by CSC on pro tour for years before the SC came along. Love it.
I see, thanks. I've read about how the CSC team used the Soloist Team. That's one reason why I was hesitant though. The Soloist seems like a hardcore frame and might not be for a newbie like me.

Btw, what's CP?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Central Park. Am a relative newbie myself. In course of my research, basically concluded that soloist team was the most bang I could get for my buck at that price point. Don't get me wrong - I think it's comfortable as far as road bikes go, but I do think the race-biased geometry is a positive (at least for me) - it should continue to be an exciting ride as your skills improve. Really depends on what you are looking for. I happen to love the twitchy handling and feedback, but others may prefer something more staid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not twitchy to me at all -- well compared to some other bikes I tried. I think the six13 was maybe a little more stable. I guess my only concern is comfort in long rides (not that I can do a century any time soon, but...).

I guess I should try to ride both bikes again soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ride a CR1. For a newbie, I would stay away from it because it does not have a replaceable derailler hanger. As for comfort, the CR1 feels great to me and seemed to smooth out the roads as well as the Synapse. I did not like the riding position of the Synapse; however. have you tried the synapse without the 2 cm spacer? I ended up getting the Scott because it had better parts for the same price.

You should be able to get a good price on the 6-13. The 6-13 is being phased out for the newer models.

·
Registered
47 Posts
"It will be my first bike, and a cyclist friend of mine suggested that I skip aluminum and go to carbon for comfort. I trust his judgment of course since he seems to really know his stuff and he's been riding for a long time."

I really agree with your friend.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have a CR1 and definitely wouldn't replace it with an aluminum frame at similar prices.

Having said that, if you are sold on the Cervelo--you can always change the tires to 700x25 to offset some of the comfort problems typically associated with aluminum. I still think carbon rides a lot better on lousy chip seal roads. If you have mostly nice roads, the aluminum should be fine (even for centuries).

Both are nice bikes and have seen a lot of pro tour action--of course, the CR1 action is more recent since you rarely see pros riding aluminum on anything but roubaix rides anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.