Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I picked up a brand new 2007 K2 Enemy frame for 55.00 (Ebay) and now I am going to build it as a daily rider. Nothing fancy, just something to get myself into riding. I have never built a road bike before, but I have built many BMX bikes in the past. I have an Octalink BB and am looking for a crank to put on it. I was wondering about a crank I saw that said it was for a 9 speed drivetrain so it would require a 9 speed chain. What exactly does that mean? It sounds like I will need a special cassette. The crank is a double--52/39. whay would that mean for the rear wheel? Go easy on the newby. Thanks!

Oh, the frame is a cyclocross but being built as a road bike and I don't want to spend a million on it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Make sure the crank is compatable with an octalink bottom bracket.
The nine speed refers to the number of cogs on the rear freewheel. Nine speed chains aren't as thick as 6,7,8 speed and not as thin as 10 spd. The 52/39 refers to the number of teeth on the crank arm. 52 on the big one 39 on the little one. Since this a cyclocross frame you have to keep in mind that you will need cantilever brakes or v-brakes. This will affect the kind of brake levers you use as canti's are compatible with all road bike levers and V-brakes need linear pull levers. I suggest looking for a build kit which will include everything you need right down to the bar tape. The bike shop you buy it from could also advise you on gearing, length of stem etc. You can spend a lot of money on a project like this and could end up spending more than going to a bike shop and buying new. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts