Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a Cat 3 weeknight crit a couple of days ago. 45 minutes, ~40 riders, clear weather. Course has a slight rise followed by the start/finish and a tight corner. I'd done the same course a few weeks back as a Cat 4.

I finished mid-pack, but didn't hold my position well enough to contest the final sprint. Had a little dig with about 10 minutes to go, but it didn't go anywhere. I was able to stay near the front for 2/3 of the race, but wasn't aggressive enough in the final third to hold my position.

Some observations:

* The pace wasn't "silly slow" like in the Cat 4/5 combined field crits I've done. The accelerations were definitely harder. The pace wasn't tough to keep up with, though, as long as you were in the wheels.

* The biggest difference was how aggressive most riders were in protecting their lines, bumping their way into the turns, etc.

* Both holding corner speed, and acceleration out of corners, is critical, as it determines your position going into the next one, and so forth.

* At the end of the race, I wasn't very fatigued. This means I wasn't doing it right. I was too defensive, too concerned that things would "heat up" and I would "run out of gas."

* One thing I did get right was my warmup. I've got my routine down pretty well; it takes ~45 minutes, and I never feel the sense of early race cramps that I did in my first couple of tries.

Pet Peeve: The number of riders at the finish who declared they got "boxed out." You mean, you were in the wrong spot? I got "boxed out," too, because I didn't fight for my position well enough in the closing laps, but I know it was my fault.

I definitely feel more "naturally" at home in road races and on sustained climbs than in the high-corner-speed bunch fighting that is crit racing, but I know as an American bike racer this is just something I'll have to get better at.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
>Some observations:
>* The biggest difference was how aggressive most riders were in protecting their lines,
>bumping their way into the turns, etc.

*gulp*

>* Both holding corner speed, and acceleration out of corners, is critical, as it determines
>your position going into the next one, and so forth.

I didn't pay much attention to this. Need to examine this more closely and see what happens and which is better.

>Pet Peeve: The number of riders at the finish who declared they got "boxed out." You
>mean, you were in the wrong spot?

hehehe :cryin:

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
argentius said:
>Some observations:
>* The biggest difference was how aggressive most riders were in protecting their lines,
>bumping their way into the turns, etc.
bas said:
Wha? What's the big deal?

argentius said:
* Both holding corner speed, and acceleration out of corners, is critical, as it determines your position going into the next one, and so forth.
bas said:
I didn't pay much attention to this. Need to examine this more closely and see what happens and which is better.
I can tell you which is better! Keep the momentum higher longer and you use less energy! BTDT both ways! I really, really prefer Masters and/or higher cat racing 'cause its SO much smoother in/around the corners. Even WITH the bumping/fighting for position. The lower cats (I'm a rare bird that has raced the A race at the track AND a Masters 4 so I've seen both ends of the spectrum) suck. Square cornering, skeered riding by idiots in the pack, etc. I have LOTS of fun making people do what I want in the Cat 4 races just by holding my line... Its like they're skeered to actually make physical contact with anyone/anything and I'm used to the close quarters and contact of the track.

argentius said:
Pet Peeve: The number of riders at the finish who declared they got "boxed out." You mean, you were in the wrong spot?
bas said:
hehehe :cryin:
I've been 'boxed out' too! Just means I LET myself get into a spot that I couldn't get out of. I failed to pay attention and guess what? I paid for that! I'm not gonna blame anyone other than myself for that lack of attentiveness!

M

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the cat 3 folks were definitely a lot smoother -- instead of a big, ugly bunch running into the corner and then coming to a dead halt, the 3's knew they needed to line it out, and did. Guys knew where the right spot was going to be, and they didn't want to give it up.

Watching the 1/2 race later, it was even more like that. Makes me want to upgrade again asap, heh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.