Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After losing weight on a bike, I set as a goal last year to ride my first century at age 54 in July on a ride called Miles of Smiles hosted by the president of our bike club, the McLean County Wheelers. . More than 90 did it last year. He has a course that takes you up and down river valleys. Anyone who thinks Illinois is flat hasn't seen this course.

I lost well over 100 pounds and was on my way to riding the century on time when a diagnosis of cancer intervened. I was very bummed because surgery would knock me out of the Miles of Smiles. So I mentioned that I would like a map of the course so I could go ride it by myself before the operation. The president, Geno, said he would do me one better _ he would take me. When he put out the word we were doing it the Saturday of Memorial Day, 20 people showed up to go too. We had a seminar two weeks ago on how to prepare, eating and hydration, bike fit, what to take along. I organized another with a bike technician on emergency bike repairs.

I was ready...feeling bloated from so much water and carbs.

Some went on a 60 miles course, cutting off before it really got interesting. It was 90 degrees, 20 mph winds in our faces. God it was glorious climbing to the top of hill after hill. It was everything I had envisioned. A great challenge. Five of us rode the whole thing together. Geno did it on a fixed gear direct drive, an incredible feat. As I was nearing the end, I realized that if I went straight back I would only have 98 miles or so. So I went back out into the country and got two more. 100.5 miles. It was so so powerful finishing and still feeling like I had more to give. Averaged 15 mph.

Bikes have given me so much. If I hadn't lost the weight and gone for a routine physical I wouldn't know I have cancer. I would be dying now and not know it. As it is, we found it very early and the prognosis is good. The bike has me in good shape for the long recovery period afterward. The bike has given me incredible friendships with wonderful people. It has given me the chance to set goals that seem so high, and surpass them.

A bike is far more than two wheels, a sprocket, some gears, a chain, a seat and two pedals. It's transportation to a new way of life, a longer life, a life worth living.

Many thdnks to my friends here at home and on RBR. Thanks for all the support.

Ice Man

· Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
Congratulations walleye! Remember this accomplishment while you go through your recovery process; may it be speedy!

· Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the kind words. If anyone asks how Ice Man felt after doing 100, tell them he spent the rest of the weekend doing back-to-back 50-mile days. The wind is still roaring and it's hot, but I'm loving it.

· Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
walleyeangler said:
Thanks for all the kind words. If anyone asks how Ice Man felt after doing 100, tgell them he spent the rest of the weekend doing back-to-back 50-mile days. The wind is still roaring and it's hot, but I'm loving it.
You are an animal sir! An animal!:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.