Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Hammering Wheels Comment section.

Doug L.
Group Supporter
“ That was quite a ride! My legs were trashed at the end. More so than the Death Ride! Joe talked me into using my Single Speed to do the ride. Joe changed his front chain ring from a 42 to a 46. He and Sarah left me in the dust at the start of the ride because I spun out with the wind behind us. I was lucky to find a couple that were going between 23-25 and drafted them and pulled some also. I caught Joe and Sarah at the lunch stop and we rode the last 60 mi. together. The 3 of us took turns pulling against the wind and got back fast. We kept picking up people, and dropping them on the way back. Few people wanted to help pull at the pace we were doing. My biggest satisfaction was passing all those riders that flew past me with the big gears at the start of the ride. I got them going back in to the wind. Kind of a different ride. I think that I would rather suffer climbing hills all day! ”

First Century I did on my Langster. I hammered for 98 mi. Tough night on the bike! The last 60 mi. was in to a very strong Delta wind. What made it worth it was dropping all those people with gears who started out so fast with the wind behind them. Joe on a SS, Sarah, on a geared bike, and I dropped them on the way back. Pay back!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Singlespeed is great. But I think someone who thinks dropping people is "what makes it worthwhile" is misguided.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rcnute said:
Singlespeed is great. But I think someone who thinks dropping people is "what makes it worthwhile" is misguided.
Not misguided, but it is fun to pass the people who fly by you at the beginning of a ride. We tried to get people to work with us in a pace line against the wind, but most just wanted to suck a wheel, and not help. It would have been nice to have a big group to help in the wind, but it ended up being only the 3 of us. We rode about 4 hrs. in the dark. Not much to see except the lights of the riders up ahead.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is this recommended? I've done 80 miles on my Trek District and wanted to go onto a century. I had a physical therapist tell me to not do that anymore, bad for the knees and the joints. He said gears exist for a good reason.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
satisfaction?

My satisfaction in doing long rides on fixed gear comes from completing the ride, conquering mountains and 200 miles with the raw force of 1 speed, and it doesn't have anything to do with what other people are doing.

shibaman said:
From the Hammering Wheels Comment section.

Doug L.
Group Supporter
“ That was quite a ride! My legs were trashed at the end. More so than the Death Ride! Joe talked me into using my Single Speed to do the ride. Joe changed his front chain ring from a 42 to a 46. He and Sarah left me in the dust at the start of the ride because I spun out with the wind behind us. I was lucky to find a couple that were going between 23-25 and drafted them and pulled some also. I caught Joe and Sarah at the lunch stop and we rode the last 60 mi. together. The 3 of us took turns pulling against the wind and got back fast. We kept picking up people, and dropping them on the way back. Few people wanted to help pull at the pace we were doing. My biggest satisfaction was passing all those riders that flew past me with the big gears at the start of the ride. I got them going back in to the wind. Kind of a different ride. I think that I would rather suffer climbing hills all day! ”

First Century I did on my Langster. I hammered for 98 mi. Tough night on the bike! The last 60 mi. was in to a very strong Delta wind. What made it worth it was dropping all those people with gears who started out so fast with the wind behind them. Joe on a SS, Sarah, on a geared bike, and I dropped them on the way back. Pay back!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
city41 said:
Is this recommended? I've done 80 miles on my Trek District and wanted to go onto a century. I had a physical therapist tell me to not do that anymore, bad for the knees and the joints. He said gears exist for a good reason.
I think that it would depend on the health of your knees and the gearing of your bike. The langster comes with a 42x16 (70") gear set. You spin between 18-22 mph with out a lot of stress on the knees. It all depends how you ride it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed said:
My satisfaction in doing long rides on fixed gear comes from completing the ride, conquering mountains and 200 miles with the raw force of 1 speed, and it doesn't have anything to do with what other people are doing.
I am happy for you. You are such a stud! To each their own.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
a new record

No, I am happy for you!

In over 10 years here, I think yours was the first post to boast about dropping and passing people like that. I think it's a new record!

That was quite a ride! My legs were trashed at the end. More so than the Death Ride! Joe talked me into using my Single Speed to do the ride. Joe changed his front chain ring from a 42 to a 46. He and Sarah left me in the dust at the start of the ride because I spun out with the wind behind us. I was lucky to find a couple that were going between 23-25 and drafted them and pulled some also. I caught Joe and Sarah at the lunch stop and we rode the last 60 mi. together. The 3 of us took turns pulling against the wind and got back fast. We kept picking up people, and dropping them on the way back. Few people wanted to help pull at the pace we were doing. My biggest satisfaction was passing all those riders that flew past me with the big gears at the start of the ride. I got them going back in to the wind. Kind of a different ride. I think that I would rather suffer climbing hills all day! ”

First Century I did on my Langster. I hammered for 98 mi. Tough night on the bike! The last 60 mi. was in to a very strong Delta wind. What made it worth it was dropping all those people with gears who started out so fast with the wind behind them. Joe on a SS, Sarah, on a geared bike, and I dropped them on the way back. Pay back!

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I used to get my satisfaction riding the FG mostly from posing at coffee shops. I did that for several years. I also loved posing at control points during organized long distance rides. Some people used to poke fun or joke about my riding these distance and weekly pack rides on the FG. Funny thing is, the very same people that used to make fun or criticize me several years ago are now doing these rides on the FG and single speeds.
I realize my post has nothing to do with this thread...:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Fixed said:
No, I am happy for you!

In over 10 years here, I think yours was the first post to boast about dropping and passing people like that. I think it's a new record! http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53 Lots of that stuff here.

That was quite a ride! My legs were trashed at the end. More so than the Death Ride! Joe talked me into using my Single Speed to do the ride. Joe changed his front chain ring from a 42 to a 46. He and Sarah left me in the dust at the start of the ride because I spun out with the wind behind us. I was lucky to find a couple that were going between 23-25 and drafted them and pulled some also. I caught Joe and Sarah at the lunch stop and we rode the last 60 mi. together. The 3 of us took turns pulling against the wind and got back fast. We kept picking up people, and dropping them on the way back. Few people wanted to help pull at the pace we were doing. My biggest satisfaction was passing all those riders that flew past me with the big gears at the start of the ride. I got them going back in to the wind. Kind of a different ride. I think that I would rather suffer climbing hills all day! ”

First Century I did on my Langster. I hammered for 98 mi. Tough night on the bike! The last 60 mi. was in to a very strong Delta wind. What made it worth it was dropping all those people with gears who started out so fast with the wind behind them. Joe on a SS, Sarah, on a geared bike, and I dropped them on the way back. Pay back!
I don't really want to get into a pissing match with you. when I ride a geared bike on the weekends, I run with Performance Group from Cycle Folsom. Many of these guys race, and are very competitive. Most of them are half my age, and I have to work hard to keep up with them. I love doing the hill rides, faster than most going up, slower going down. http://cyclefolsom.com/webform/Prev...tle=GEORGETOWN&distance=91.60&climbing=10,283. --http://www.wildestride.com/ the 140 mi. ride.
When I am on the SS I love to challenge the guys on the geared bikes. I am at a disadvantage because of the gearing, but it is real fun. The really fast guys on the geared bikes drop me quickly unless I can catch their wheel and draft them. A lot of times they run out of steam and we take turns pulling down the road.
I can ride faster on a geared bike, but the fun is the challenge of being on a SS and chasing, or leading the geared bikes. I have 5500 mi. on my 09 Langster. More than my 07Cannondale System Six.
I did the Death Ride a few weeks ago and took my time. 12 hrs total time including water and food stops. I could have done it much faster. But why? I was doing it for my first time, and wanted to enjoy all the beautiful views, and really enjoy the experience.
There is a time to cruse, and a time to hammer. I like to hammer of the SS because I am at a disadvantage, and have to work harder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts