Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I celebrated the 4th by riding my first century. Prior to that my longest ride was 40 miles. I probably went out a bit hard and averaged 18.5 MPH for the first 50 miles. Then the wind really picked up. The headwind just demoralized me over the last 50. Here are the stats from my Garmin Edge 305...

Code:
Distance        :  100.1 
Time            :  5:49:44 
Avg Speed       :  17.2 MPH 
Elev gain       :  4,678 
Avg heart rate  :  149      
Avg Wind Speed  :  9.7 MPH 
Calories burned :  5,557

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Doc_D said:
I celebrated the 4th by riding my first century. Prior to that my longest ride was 40 miles. I probably went out a bit hard and averaged 18.5 MPH for the first 50 miles. Then the wind really picked up. The headwind just demoralized me over the last 50. Here are the stats from my Garmin Edge 305...

Code:
Distance        :  100.1 
Time            :  5:49:44 
Avg Speed       :  17.2 MPH 
Elev gain       :  4,678 
Avg heart rate  :  149      
Avg Wind Speed  :  9.7 MPH 
Calories burned :  5,557
Is that elevation gain a net gain, meaning you finished about a mile higher than you started?? Your cyclo has an average wind speed??? 5557 Calories burned??? On my first metric my CatEye said I only burned about 1200 calories and I had about the same average speed with a avg HR of 162, given the math that would compute to about 2000 calories burned for a 100 miles.... who's is closer.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
jtolleson said:
I've never understood calculating a century time based on "ride time" only... YMMV.
It's a better comparison with other riders. Ride time only eliminates most of the luck factor for those who hit the intersection with a green light vs. those who get red. It also factors out bad luck on mechanical issues.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well, ride time is how long it acutally took to do the mileage if you ask me. I always clarify if someone asks that my "ride time" was "5:30" or whatever. Now, if you want to run sag for me and drive along in a car the whole time and hand me food and water I promise i won't stop.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

I was riding alone. The elevation gain is total, not net. I rode a loop so the net elevation gain is 0.

I upload my ride from my Garmin to www.motionbased.com. They calculate the weather information (such as wind speed) during the ride based on time and location.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Congrats. For riding alone & seeing that it's your 1st century, that's a very good time.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Sub said:
Well, ride time is how long it acutally took to do the mileage if you ask me. I always clarify if someone asks that my "ride time" was "5:30" or whatever. Now, if you want to run sag for me and drive along in a car the whole time and hand me food and water I promise i won't stop.

I don't agree. I think a century includes, by definition, the time spent eating, drinking, and resting during the ride. I think it's the only honest assessment of how one did what one did... if speed is important. I think folks get a little puffed up by citing ride time stats in a vacuum. But to each his own.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
congrats......feels good doesn't it!.......btw, have you ever used SportTracks to log rides with your GPS?....very nice program.

·
Registered
495 Posts
jtolleson said:
I don't agree. I think a century includes, by definition, the time spent eating, drinking, and resting during the ride. I think it's the only honest assessment of how one did what one did... if speed is important. I think folks get a little puffed up by citing ride time stats in a vacuum. But to each his own.

I agree that we disagree. Of course, I don't ever post what it actually takes me to ride a century unless the topic is brought up. I race, therefore I don't feel the need to "race" a century. I've never done a century trying to go all out and put out my best time. It also depends on if you ride it alone or not. I always ride centuries with friends, and we just paceline it comfortably in the 22-24mph range. I always tell people if you want to impress me, pin a number on your back and toe the line because that is the only true measure of who the man is.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I'm with jtolleson on this one.

On long rides we often finish way ahead of folks who had much faster average speeds than us. Then they get to going on and on about how fast they rode......

No they didn't.

OTOH doing that first century is a big deal for any cyclist so :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Doc_D!

·
MING
419 Posts
good century man!

i use motionbased my the little quirk is that once i upload activities using the browser tool for os x i go to 'activity options' and use the mb auto correct elevation and lose roughly half of the elevation gain the unit says it has. however doing this turns it into a realistic number

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.