Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up yesterday, and the wife and I decided to go ride our first century with a couple of buddies. Los Altos to Gilroy and back for those who know the bay area. It was pretty good overall, and we never really pushed it, so I'm sure we can do better next time. One small climb in the first ten miles on a pretty sketchy road, and then flat with head-turning-to-tail wind. Honestly never thought I'd be able to do that kind of ride (previous best was a 68 miler), much less do it unsupported.

I felt good today with no significant soreness. Just saying: I did my first century. Looks like we've got another one planned for next weekend too. Onward.

·
Registered
337 Posts
First of all, Congratulations on your first century. It will be the first of many.

Depending on how hard you guys rode, it might not be a good idea to do a century in 2 consecutive weekends. Having never done that sort of distance before, your legs may take longer to recover than you expect. You may feel fine, but if someone throws down the hammer and you have to dial up your effort to respond, you could find that you don't really have the punch to do so.

Of course, if you're feeling strong, and your butt can handle it, by all means, do another one. But pay special attention to how you feel on the bike this week, and then make your decision.

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
Congrats! I did my first one last May, and it ended up being easier than I thought it would. Unfortunately, I did it solo, and it got pretty boring after the first half.

Two weekends in a row shouldn't be too difficult. Just cut out a couple rides during the week and keep your legs fresh.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Your 1st century is always a milestone. I've been riding 48 years & I can remember mine clearly. Congrats!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts