Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am recovering from a serious mt. bike injury, broken back and neck and now am biking again and gaining it back very slowly. I decided to ride with the Dockriders, a local road bike club to help improve my endurance and speed.

My first ride. I pulled a quad and bailed.
the second ride I made it but was dead last.(very hot day)
This weekend, I was probably mid pack, between the fast group (riding solo) and the slower group.
On the last climb I was last but they were still almost within sight. : (

I feel that I am improving. but have to admit the fast group is a bit scarey to ride with. They will blow most stop signs, which I did also with trepidation. But started to get used to it. sad! If i get a ticket we all get a ticket. What scared my the most was the long straight and slight downhill. I started last but caught some of the fast group. I'm really not used to high speed and backed off. My speedometer max speed indicated I was at 34mph, that is the fastest I have ever been on a road bike.

Since I am recovering, next ride I will stay back witht he slower riders. I keep trying not to imagine what could happen if...

there just had to get that off of my chest!
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,980 Posts
Good for you and good luck on your recovery. I have a friend who's a pilot. One of his favorite gems is, "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Followup:

I just recieve an email from the clubs secretary,
someone sent him a complaint about sundays club ride. they complained that it was comparable to a herd of stampeding buffalo being chase by indians rather than a coordinated club ride. He continued that they were 4 abreast and crossed over into opposing traffics lane and jumbled together almost falling over at the stop lights. I'm glad I didn't catch up to them! I thought it was only me, i now feel vindicated!

I enjoy the people, the are all good down the earth, but I guess some were suffering from juvenilistist last Sunday.

Maybe was it a full moon or the Starbucks triple red eye in their water bottles!

I can't wait to take them on a mt. bike ride (single track). I hope their brakes work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
nagatahawk said:
I can't wait to take them on a mt. bike ride (single track).
And no stopsigns?

I`ve never gone out on a group ride. I don`t know how many groups ride like that but the ones that have caught my eye do- it ain`t my bag. Hopefully the that group you found will be more to your liking on the next ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rodar y rodar said:
And no stopsigns?

I`ve never gone out on a group ride. I don`t know how many groups ride like that but the ones that have caught my eye do- it ain`t my bag. Hopefully the that group you found will be more to your liking on the next ride.
No stop sign but much braking on the down hill, or go over the edge.
this group has always been known as a more laid back type of riding.
The the subject of road etiquette will be discussed at the next meeting.

there are other clubs, or solo is cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this weekend I rode with another club that left later stopped more and had a slower pace. I was in my head worring about making 40 miles, little did i know that there was another group dynamics here. There were more attractive females here, that should have given me a clue!!

Within the first mile a nice woman started chatting me up, " I love your wheels!" and kept on about my wheels, I had no clue. I chatted with her for a few miles, and thinking I would like to meet other members also. I moved up front and kept up with the leaders, easy to do at 12 mph. We stopped every 5 miles or so. Good I drank coffee!
One of the guys who I will label "hot shot," was always sprinting ahead and chatting up a young attractive newbe. this continued until we stopped at our turn around. I was getting bad vibe from him. Either he hated me, or was turned down by the young lovely and was pissed.. She was keeping her distance from everyone at the turnaround rest stop.
The faster guys stay away from me because I was a threat to their hierarchy? They certainly chase me down when I did a fast breakaway. (43.3 mph on a quick downhill loop) Hot shot keep pedaling after i backed down to wait for the group.

We stopped to for a bite, and "love your wheels" was going on about buying a new car.
When I found out it was electric car, I volunteered my considerations of electric cars. they surround you in an electromagnetic field which I thought could be a risk. for example: cell phones and power lines cancer risk areas. she was pissed at my comments and did not say a word to me from this point on. I told her my favorite car had power and goes vroom! vroom! whoops! Now I know she's a total green, liberal save and tax the people kinda girl!
Next ride I know what to expect. If the guys want to make this a race for top dog, bring it on.

this weekend I'll go back to my faster club. Ive hopped up my bike, lighter wheelset and tires. How much is 500 grams weight savings? I hopefully I'll be able to keep up from standing starts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
nagatahawk said:
I am recovering from a serious mt. bike injury, broken back and neck and now am biking again and gaining it back very slowly. I decided to ride with the Dockriders, a local road bike club to help improve my endurance and speed.

My first ride. I pulled a quad and bailed.
the second ride I made it but was dead last.(very hot day)
This weekend, I was probably mid pack, between the fast group (riding solo) and the slower group.
On the last climb I was last but they were still almost within sight. : (

I feel that I am improving. but have to admit the fast group is a bit scarey to ride with. They will blow most stop signs, which I did also with trepidation. But started to get used to it. sad! If i get a ticket we all get a ticket. What scared my the most was the long straight and slight downhill. I started last but caught some of the fast group. I'm really not used to high speed and backed off. My speedometer max speed indicated I was at 34mph, that is the fastest I have ever been on a road bike.

Since I am recovering, next ride I will stay back witht he slower riders. I keep trying not to imagine what could happen if...

there just had to get that off of my chest!
Sounds familiar.... from
Oh god, this sucks.... dropped. to
Oh god, this sucks... but I made them chase, didn't I?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Leaving those poor girls to defend themselves against Hotshot and his gang? Must be better looking legs in the fast group. I dunno how much difference 500 grams will make in how fast you ride (very little, I suspect), but the second group sounds like a lot more fun. Why can`t you ride with both?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rodar y rodar said:
Leaving those poor girls to defend themselves against Hotshot and his gang? Must be better looking legs in the fast group. I dunno how much difference 500 grams will make in how fast you ride (very little, I suspect), but the second group sounds like a lot more fun. Why can`t you ride with both?
ha! ha!
Hot shot took off on his own, the younger lass he failed hook up with rode off ahead in another group and there were only two females left, miss greeny who hates me, and the leader who had two male escorts.

dont get me wrong, I really had a great time and will absolutely be back. both groups have great members and totallly different group dynamics. the biggest plus is that I am starting to really enjoy road bikes.

I need the speed to hang with the faster group. I'm hoping that the wheel set will help my acceleration, my mindset but top speed it fine.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top