Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally did it. 26 miles; 60 stoplights; 14 stop signs round trip. Man, my legs are tired, so it must be good. Tons of starts on the fixed gear at intersections. Wiped down and dressed in clothes I took in on Saturday when I moved my stuff into the new office. I was surprised how easy it is. Hope to do it at least 4 days per week for now. Very hot coming home, but that's ok. Good opportunity for heat acclimation. More later.

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Eh, you could hit 60 stoplights in 10 miles if you wanted. I've ridden to Bowie. But not the 5,000 stoplight route.

Fixed, glad you enjoy your commute. I hope your coworkers enjoy it too.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no stink

OverStuffed said:
Eh, you could hit 60 stoplights in 10 miles if you wanted. I've ridden to Bowie. But not the 5,000 stoplight route.

Fixed, glad you enjoy your commute. I hope your coworkers enjoy it too.

I don't think the coworkers "enjoyed" it, if you mean I stunk. Kept the pace low on the way in, then wiped down thoroughly. No problem.

Yes, that's tons of stop lighst, but actually I think I made at leat half of them, sometimes requiring quite a sprint. I'd rather sprint and make a light than have to stop and pull away from a start. What sucks, though, is sprinting and then not making the light.

sorry foir typos; I don't have my reading glasses on

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Man that is a lot of stopping.

Are you sure there isn't another route that adds a mile or two and reduces the hassle?

I know on the west coast it isn't normally safe to run the lights, maybe you should change coasts.......

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
traffic lights, not stop lights!

In time you'll learn the patterns and timings and, when you want to, slowly roll through most of them on green. Your feeling for when to sprint and when to roll will get much better as you learn your route. The lights that screw me up are the "smart" lights that respond to the traffic rather than having a consistant sequence.

You're known as a guy who doesn't fear an extra mile or two, so another suggestion about alternate routes feels a little bit like telling a fish to swim. If they're around, you'll find 'em. Enjoy the commuting while the family's young. My youngest just got his driver's license and not having to get the kids to or from practice for one sport or another makes regular commuting much easier to manage. Trying to ride home and jump in the car to get to football practice in time feels mighty hectic.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no options

MB1 said:
Are you sure there isn't another route that adds a mile or two and reduces the hassle?

I know on the west coast it isn't normally safe to run the lights, maybe you should change coasts.......
Unless I run down the freeway, I can't find any other route with fewer stops. Sucks, but then I look at it as interval training.

Change coasts? No thanks. I'll take the stops, along with 70 degrees and clear, sunny weather every single morning of the summer, even if it's hotter on the way home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.