Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not ridden in a few years, but after my wife gave birth to our first kid in October, I realized I needed to get fit! So here is the first of hopefully many commutes. 7.4 miles one way, averaging 10 mph with 413 feet of climbing. Not very impressive, I know, but for a 41 year old 260 pound guy, I'm proud.

Mostly deserted surface roads (at 5:30 a.m.) with one mile uphill on a four lane curbed heavy traffic road. That part was a little scary. Mid 60's and low humidity for Upstate SC. The way home will be much more of a chore at 3:30.

View attachment 281622

View attachment 281623

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed that it's always hardest at first. Hopefully you have shower facilities or a way to mop up at work on the really humid days. I dig the yellow bike. Excellent visibility; hopefully it'll help prevent any right hooks.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Congrats. Committed to tomorrow too?

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
In a week, you wont imagine getting to work any other way. I had to drive a car in San Francisco last weekend and it drove me crazy. Makes me appreciate the freedom that two wheels can give.

Something I do is to set an annual goal either in miles or number of legs commuted. I keep a spreadsheet on my desktop at works that tells me exactly where I am to plan. It keeps me motivated to during the winter when the cold sets in and on tired days when it would be easy to put the bike on the bus and nap home.

Congrats again. Keep it up and post once in a while to let us know how it's going.
Foggy

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try 2 or 3 days a week for now, then see. I need to be available for family emergencies. Luckily, my bosses are very flexible and I could bum an emergency ride home from several co-workers.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I didn't know Annapurna apaches had made it to monument status.... Keep riding, my route is under three feet of water right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great! I have ridden to work once a week for four weeks. The new baby let us get eight hours of sleep last night so I rode today. My average speed is up 10%. I know that's not a big deal at my speed but it is an incentive. Riding really makes the workday better and also the afternoon at home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.