Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they say it's not if you crash, but when. Tonight was when. I was just coming back from an evening ride. It was very cold, around 2C, and getting dark. I turned onto my street and at the same time had a look at the car that was approaching me. The next thing I knew my front wheel was rubbing along the curb and I was still leaning into the turn. I guess I overcooked it a bit and that was it. Luckily I knew it was coming so I was a little bit prepared as I hit the sidewalk. Slid for about 10 feet then got up cursing, more worried about my bike than anything else. The guy in the car slowed down to see if I was okay. Or maybe he got a good laugh. Whatever. I gave him the "It's all good" wave and went back to my cursing. I then picked up the bike, gave it the once over, put the chain back on and slowly rode the 200 metres to my house.

As it turns out, there's very little damage to the bike or me. Small scratch on the fork, scuffs on the right brake lever, scuffs on the right pedal, rear derailleur and saddle. The shifter got the worst of it. As for me - torn tights and jacket, scraped leg and elbow, and wounded pride.

It could have been worse, but I still feel pretty stupid right now.

Cheers!
Kevin

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
To paraphrase one of the great motorcycle racers--you don't know how far you can lean over until you fall off.

Glad you are OK.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
These things happen. Your first is one you remember for life. Glad you are OK. It is cool the car stopped to see if you are OK. I can promise you that you will be more sore tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Well at least you saw it coming!

One time a club member and myself were trying to escape torrential rains as the drizzle continued to prime our treadways. We knew we had less than 10 minutes to travel a distance of just about 4 or 5 miles to our respective homes. We were speeding along up until we approached an intersection. The light at the intersection was beginning to change in our favor. We both simultaneously thought..."Good! We don't have to slow down as much!"...WRONG!!!

As we attempted to left turn and bank the west corner, we both fell at the same time, and slid along the wet asphalt with the same velocity. The curb stopped us both at the same time. We were both taken by surprise! Both our bikes suffered scrapes on the pedals and handlebars at practically the same identical places. However, since we both were wearing gloves and lycra, our hands and legs were spared. OTOH, our lycra and gloves were toast!

We ended up getting soaked, anyway!

Reactions: 9W9W

·
Registered
996 Posts
If you get on a bike you will fall off. You just hope it's not today!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Could have been much worse. Glad you weren't seriously injured & congrats for jumping back on the horse that threw you.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I had likely my 7th - 8th crash yesterday during a wet team ride ... went into a corner that I've probably ridden 30-40 times at 27 mph and the front end went right out from under me. It sounds as if the rain may have brought some oil up from the road making the corner slicker than normal.

Overall ... it wasn't bad, but I did slide across the road and down about 7 feet into a ditch.

Some good road rash on my Butt/Upper leg, a bruise and some scrapes on my left elbow and a bruise on the other hamstring.

My wife has put together a mobile med kit for me considering the number of times I've crashed ... but then most others I know have one now as well :)

It's good that your's wasn't too bad ... they happen and it's not that you get used to it, it's just that when it does happen, you pick yourself up and keep going. Mine took place about 36 miles into the ride and I finished the final 32, though I was showing a little "Leg" with my ripped up knickers :D

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
Well, they say it's not if you crash, but when. Tonight was when...As it turns out, there's very little damage to the bike or me. Small scratch on the fork, scuffs on the right brake lever, scuffs on the right pedal, rear derailleur and saddle. The shifter got the worst of it. As for me - torn tights and jacket, scraped leg and elbow, and wounded pride.
Kevin
That's why you do everything you can to fall toward the left, or the less expensive side of the bike. :D

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
That's funny. Whenever we travel with any of our bikes, we have a big Ziploc bag full of road rash and cut supplies. I have left skin in every state I've ever biked in is our running joke. Mostly on the mountain bike though, and the road bike stuff has just been complacency issues whilst on vacation :)

I had likely my 7th - 8th crash yesterday during a wet team ride ... went into a corner that I've probably ridden 30-40 times at 27 mph and the front end went right out from under me. It sounds as if the rain may have brought some oil up from the road making the corner slicker than normal.

Overall ... it wasn't bad, but I did slide across the road and down about 7 feet into a ditch.

Some good road rash on my Butt/Upper leg, a bruise and some scrapes on my left elbow and a bruise on the other hamstring.

My wife has put together a mobile med kit for me considering the number of times I've crashed ... but then most others I know have one now as well :)

It's good that your's wasn't too bad ... they happen and it's not that you get used to it, it's just that when it does happen, you pick yourself up and keep going. Mine took place about 36 miles into the ride and I finished the final 32, though I was showing a little "Leg" with my ripped up knickers :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.