Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this was my first cross race and I loved it! I got there early and got registered and all that. Then I went out to check out the course. It was already starting to get sloppy. There were some tough run-ups and a couple tight switchbacks. LOTS of off camber stuff. It had been pouring pretty much since Thursday night so it was only going to get sloppier.

I decided to go with the "C's" for my first race. 4 laps of the course. Had I gone with 42:20 rather than 42:18 I prolly would have gone with the "B's" but I just couldn't spin very well and an additional two laps would have been brutal trying to mash through the mud. :) I felt awesome on my dismounts, barriers and remounts. If only my saddle could say the same. By the end of the race the rails had enough. My saddle was leaning allll the way over to the right side from my girth landing on it jumping back on. (If anyone knows a tough as nails saddle let me know). I ended up finishing 22nd out of 28 (I think, don't really remember). Different gearing would have made a big difference but I just gotta learn as I go. :)

That was the end of my racing but I enjoyed watching the B's. It was great to hangout and ride with my fellow mysinglespeed.com teammates! Lots of quality riders in the B's (lots of sandbaggers too:p ) The A's were impressive, I don't know how I would survive 8 laps!

Great to see everyone out there! I really can't wait to get out and do it again!

·
Registered
280 Posts
First off, props to your friend/significant other/spouse/etc. who stood out in that rain to shoot photos and video!

Second, congrats on heading out for your first race! It looks like you had some "real" 'cross weather and to head out and do in on a singlespeed is extra ballsy. Great job. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mcguyver: the rig ran well. there are some things i would like to fix up (nicer wheels mainly) but it held up pretty well. my seat is wrecked though. the rails just kept bending when i jumped back on. i need to find one that will hold up to 260+ lbs landing on it at an angle. i should have run like 39:18 or even 39:20, i think i could have finished much higher in the C's or even raced B's for the extra couple laps. oh well live and learn:)

eyefloater: ya my wife is awesome. she took the ones of me (the big burly guy in the blue kit) the vids and other pics i took. she won't go for another race in the rain though. the weather was fun, it will suck when i go out for another race and the weather is all sunny and the course is dry :)

·
MTBR Member
2,908 Posts
just a thought.

coachjon said:
mcguyver: the rig ran well. there are some things i would like to fix up (nicer wheels mainly) but it held up pretty well. my seat is wrecked though. the rails just kept bending when i jumped back on. i need to find one that will hold up to 260+ lbs landing on it at an angle. i should have run like 39:18 or even 39:20, i think i could have finished much higher in the C's or even raced B's for the extra couple laps. oh well live and learn:)

eyefloater: ya my wife is awesome. she took the ones of me (the big burly guy in the blue kit) the vids and other pics i took. she won't go for another race in the rain though. the weather was fun, it will suck when i go out for another race and the weather is all sunny and the course is dry :)
you might want to consider an I-beam saddle. Look at some reviews, then decide if it might be right for you.

I don't have any experience with them, nor am i over 200lbs, but they offer a different approach.

·
Registered
280 Posts
coachjon said:
i was thinking about that too, not sure if it would just snap off or if it might hold up better. thanks!
Might be worth your while to head over to the clyde forum on mtbr.com. There's got to be a decent option for you out there ... maybe something geared toward freeride, etc. or just something with beefed up rails and a clamp that fits them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
eyefloater- i have made many a post in the clyde forum:) since eddie got banned it kinda dwindled though. i am thinking something dh/fr or i beam. gonna check some reviews and what not.

it was grand rapids, mi... might as well have been baton rouge:) with the remnants of the 'cane coming though.

couple of the guys on my team are rocking cross checks SS, there was a chick on one too...i don't remember if she beat me or not :blush:

pretender- ya the dude on the cruiser is a man amongst boys! he rocks that 50 lb. thing in the B race (at 120 soaking wet it is a bit tough to get over the barriers) then goes out on a size small rigid GF Superfly that prolly weighs 18 lbs in the A race:) laughing and smiling the whole time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
"The Highland Park people must be overjoyed at the condition of the grass."

From the promoter's website:

Wednesday night 9.17.O8 5:00 PM til dark. We need all the able bodies we can get to help repair Highland Park. I was just down there and damage is considerable in some spots. The City talked with me and they said they aren't happy with the condition of the park. Bring your rakes, work boots, tampers or seed spreaders and save the future of KISSCROSS in our city parks. I will purchase some grass seed and rent a walk behind roller, maybe a larger one if someone could show up with a tracker to tow it, let me know. If someone has a 4x4 truck that could possibly drive up and down the run up hill that would be great. I drove the Honda van all over the park today where I could and it smooths the ruts out really nice. Now is your chance to give back to the sport and to Kisscross for all these fun races. If we do a great job of repairing the park our future there should be fine. THANK YOU.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
That cruiser bike is money!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts