Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
fat tire rider
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just converted my Karate Monkey over to SS and had the first commute.

32X16 with the honking big tires I use gets me up to 17 mph on the flats at a nice spin, as fast as I want to go. It is a bit of a drag coming over the two 4mph hills I hit though.

It's good for me as I'm the sort to bail to the littlest gear I have whenever I hit resistance. Now I just have to stand and tough it out.

Reminds me of riding to school and doing the paper route back in the day on my schwinn "Beach Cruiser." Not sure of the gearing on that thing, but I think it was quite a bit taller than what I have now. How did I ever survive all those trips as a kid with platform pedals, kick brakes, one gear, and non cycling specific clothing?

I think I will stay SS indefinitely.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
One IS enough

Welcome to the one-speed world... but just ponder the words of Sheldon Brown, "coasting is a pernicious habit."

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am somewhat new to singlespeeding - got my first one last fall and I am totally amazed how my "thinking" and riding enjoyment has changed. I honestly never thought I could get up the same hills I used to gear way down and grind away - but I do 'em - not fast, perhaps, but I do 'em.

I think the 29 inch wheels help out a lot w/mountain biking. Steel, SS, 29'ers - awesome combination, IMO. I love my geared bikes when I need 'em, but gimmie a good single speed and I'm in heaven.

I've honestly thought about getting another set of wheels for mine so I can toss on some road tires. Gee, I know a great wheel builder . . . I just got a refund check . . . hmmm . . .

·
Registered
496 Posts
How hard would it be..

to change to a 42/16 and smaller tires? So far this is the best SS gearing ive found using 25 cc's on a pompino..

·
fat tire rider
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jrm said:
to change to a 42/16 and smaller tires? So far this is the best SS gearing ive found using 25 cc's on a pompino..
1. I don't want smaller tires, and if I did, would only go way down to 32's minimum.

2. I would be walking the hills here with that gearing.

·
Registered
681 Posts
SS and hills

I have a SS that my nephew decided he wanted to ride on a 40 mile ride today which had some biggy hills. He bailed out at around 10 miles so I gave him my geared bike and really enjoyed riding it as I have enjoyed SS in the past. I really want a Rivendell Quickbeam so I can have racks when I want and really wide tires.

·
fat tire rider
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One week update:

I don't see myself going back to gears anytime soon.:)

Figured out my gear inches at 59. If I really spin, I can get up to 25 mph briefly.

My favorite thing is the sprint start that occurs after a stop. Just a blast to lay into the pedals hard, get up to top speed and coast down to cruising speed.

Hills are hard, but I'm getting tougher.

I'm liking this more than anticipated, and I am a fairly hard core gearie/ full suspension person.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts