Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Coffee Lover
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done a few triathlons, so I'm OK there. I need to practice run to bike a few times. Do they do racing bibs like they do for a tri? On the tri, you only wear the bib for the run.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
the ones I've done, you wear the number the whole time.

If you've done tri's you probably have a good transition routine, but remember on transition one to leave your running shoes in an orderly way so you can find them easily for transition two.

You already know about the "brick".

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Be really warmed up for the start, i.e. do some jogging, a bit of tempo, and some sprints and come to the line ready.

IMO you don't even need to warm up the bike or run in a tri. But for the duathlon, you'd better be ready to run fast right off the bat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1. Looks like a short one, so I assume you will be trying to go fast, so proper warm up is important.

2. Any time you save in transition is time that is MUCH harder to make up in the run and bike, especially in such a short race. I would even consider cycling with my running shoes to save time in such a short race. If you need to drink, better to do it on the bike rather than in transition - again, to save time.

3. I would forget about spare tubes and such. The race is so short that if you have a puncture, there isn't much chance to makeup the time.

MOST IMPORTANT: Have fun! I am pretty sure it won't be your last. :) And if you do participate in another one, bricks (bike-run-bike-run) are very important in short races like this as there is very little time to let your legs adapt to the run after the bike.

·
Coffee Lover
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tip for proper warm-up was taken and it paid off. Even with the warm-up, I wasn't quite prepared for the intensity of a 40-something "lady" behind me at the race start. She pushed me the moment the gun went off.

The race went without incident, though, and I was competitive (4th in age group) and had a great time at the event. I didn't take the platform pedal advice and kind of wish I had. I'm not sure that time lost changing shoes was made up by time gained in the clips. It may have bought me the 45 seconds that would have put me in the top 3. Oh well.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Dart said:
I didn't take the platform pedal advice and kind of wish I had. I'm not sure that time lost changing shoes was made up by time gained in the clips. It may have bought me the 45 seconds that would have put me in the top 3. Oh well.
IMO changing shoes twice shouldn't take 45 seconds. Run to bike, you slip off your running shoes and get into your bike shoes while rolling. Bike to run, your shoes are off when you jump off the bike, and you slip your running shoes on in 5 seconds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.