Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post, ive been reading for around a month before this and found all of your information invaluable and helpful, ive just gotten addicted to cycling, im more of a sprinter kind of guy so this was a shock to me, that you guys ride 80km plus. At first i only rode 10km or so but i tried a new ride, completely flat, at 30km heres my stats:

30km
52m 28s
solo
cadence +90
ave speed 33+ km/h
with a last km sprint of +40km/h (insane.)

Is this good for a noob and can i improve further? is there any tips you would give to a young sprinter-type trying to make it in the world of cycling, im only 16 and any advice would be invaluable thankyou :D

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Sounds good. Don't categorize yourself yet. Try everything. You may find that there's something other than sprinting that you are good at (or enjoy).

One of the best things you can do is to ride with a club. If you are interested in racing, find a racing club. If you want to "just ride" or are interested in riding centuries, find a touring club. Or start with the touring club for a year then switch to racing. Not all tourists are slow, some are pretty fast.

If you keep at cycling you'll improve quite a bit. It takes most people years to reach their full potential (I'm still improving at 47), and of course you're still growing and that will make you faster too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should i start with a club straight away? or should i train alone until i can ride some kind of distance so i wont hold them up? thanks a lot for the advice and ill keep at it :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would recommend riding by yourself or with friends for a little while, at least until you have built up what you consider a good base. Then jump in the group ride.

Of course, there are no-drop rides, where you won't have to worry about getting left behind but the pace is slower.

And if you want to go on group rides, by all means go for it. Just expect to get dropped a lot in the beginning. But like any sport, the best way to get better is to compete with people who are better than you are.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Haridic said:
Thanks :), what average speed should i be looking to maintain if i want to ride with clubs?
There are usually multiple groups. Just go with the beginners group to begin with. If the pace is too slow, move up to the next fastest group the next ride. Soon enough you'll find the right group.

And FWIW, try not to be too concerned with your speed to start with. In the beginning, the more you ride, the faster you'll get.

Advice: Ride lots, watch your diet and get plenty of rest. If you want to be a sprinter, do lots of intervals and sprints. If you want to be a climber, go climb lots and lots of hills.

edit: And well done on your first 30k ride. Soon enough 30k will be your easy day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.