Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly getting stuff together for my first fixed gear bike. I'm just dipping my toes so to speak, seeing if I like it before I plop down the Money for a Redline 9*2*5.

I've been reading this forum since around last August, and even though I am a bike Mechanic I learn something new every day here.

The frame is a '70s Italian built lugged frame by the name of Ganna. I ran it last year as my beater geared bike but it has been replaced by Miyata One-Ten. It came with low end Campy and I loved the feel of the ride. I garbage picked it about three-four years ago before Kwame took away bulk trash disposal. First I took torch and file to it and removed the cable guides and kick-stand plate. This spring I stripped the frame and am in the process of painting it (If i can find my 2000 grit sand paper to put the final finish before I spray the Clear Coat.)

I plan on running Suzue Basic hubs (Yes I know they have horribly cheap bearings, weak threads and need greased before I build them up, but they're cheap and I still don't know If I'll like FG.). I am going to lace these up to a set of Wienneman double-wall semi-aero rims I'll get on the cheap from work since they've just been sitting there for 20 years. Since the BB is Italian threaded I'll have to order that and I plan on using Dura Ace cogs and Lock rings. I also got one of the Sun Tour XC Pro Headsets from GVH bikes for it. Everything else is going to be from my parts bin at home.

Here are some pics of the frame, yes I know the chrome on top and paint on bottom of the head lugs looks odd, but I think it is Unique, and yes I also know I need to tap the threads because I got a little too eager to start spraying Primer.

As for the Head badge, I cleaned it up from a rather Nasty picture I took of the real thing. If anybody can do a high quality single decal of it for me please PM me.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Durandal said:
Here are some pics of the frame, yes I know the chrome on top and paint on bottom of the head lugs looks odd, but I think it is Unique, and yes I also know I need to tap the threads because I got a little too eager to start spraying Primer.
It looks great to me. I think one of the biggest advantage of converting an old frame is the increased likelihood that it will be unique and unusual, which is a good thing in my book.

·
ready for retirement
69 Posts
I like it !

My eyes were drawn to those long rear dropouts and fender mounts. This looks like a great project in the making.

I suggest you look at the IRO hubs also. For very little more, you get sealed bearings and a nice finish. Per Harris Cyclery's website the axles are long enough to space out to 130, even though you probably need 124-126.

Have fun with it!

·
Registered
135 Posts
That one chrome lug looks awesome. I agree that fixed gear conversions are more appealing since they have more uniqueness and character. I look forward to seeing your bike when it is finished.

I will second the suggestion to look at the IRO hubs. I bought a set of 28 hole Formula hubs (Formula makes them for IRO) with 126mm rear spacing from bensbikes on ebay for a great price. They are a little more than the Suzue basics, but if you end up liking fixed gear riding you will have no real need to upgrade. The Formula/IRO hubs have a great reputation, so you may have an easier time selling the wheels if you decide you don't like it.

Here is a thread from when I first built up the wheels:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=55760

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess your all right, just my natural tight wad, I picked up a new front IRO hub a while back and had planed to save it for a later project, but why not this one? After all, it'll save me money over buying a whole new hubset.

I guess by saying I wanted to use Suzue Basics here I was just trying to convince myself to use the IRO, huh?

The rear spacing is at 120, so no need to monkey around with spacers.

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, finally got it running. 170 cranks, 46-16, I tried a 42, but was just too high a cadence for me. I did end up going with the IRO hubs BTW.

I had a real big problem with the BB, I went through several BB's before I learned Shimano and Campagnolo use different tapers on their spindles.

I posted the whole story on FGG so that should appear next week. One change I made today was add a Speedic Professional leather saddle, the gel monstrosity I'd had on it in the pics for FGG just rubbed me the wrong way. It's a little old and dry, but it only has to hold me over till I can find a deal on a B-17.

Will post a pic here in the morning.

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mainly because I have never owned a new bike. I also like the color and features of the 9*2*5, and the angles look to be about what I am looking for. But I'll have to see about this new Raleigh, the 2007 pre-release catalog came into the shop the other day.

New additions to the FG/SS line up are the Rush Hour Pro, which is basically a Fuji Track pro, I forget the name of the one I'm interested in, it comes with fenders, two sets of bottle Braze-ons, I forget what else it has, I only got a very short look. And the last addition to the line up is a 29er SS mountain bike. In short, they ripped off Fuji and Redline for their new additions.

I'll post more about these bikes in a new thread when I've had a chance to take a closer look at them. I have no Idea if they plan on keeping the basic Rush Hour or not, usually the pre-release catalog only shows new bikes and ones that are severely changed.

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as promised

As promised, here is a pic of the bike complete.

I decided not to hemp and Shellac the tape, too much trouble for not enough reward.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Looks good! I'm not usually a fan of gum walled tires but they compliment the frame well, same with the brake levers.

I think I have a B17 in my closet that I haven't used in a year or so, I'll have to dig around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.