Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought a fixed gear bike in january and had it delivered in february, but the snow we had here kept me from using anything without studded tires... until today.

First ride EVER on a fixed gear - I only had time for about ~30 mins of riding, but heck, it was worthwhile!

I guess I'm learning fast, 'cause I didn't feel "out of place" at all and I catched on the "no coasting" thing pretty fast... Though, as it seems to be the case with everyone's first ride, I did try to coast a few times, out of habit. First time, I was braking; second time was my first "fast" turn and last time I was about to hit a very damned large pothole. 45 km/h + traffic + pothole + trying to coast = hazardous situation that happily didn't turn wrong :thumbsup:

Funny thing : although I know my geared bike is lighter, the fixie actually feels lighter while riding it on the road. Oh and Campagnolo Record pista hubs are a class of their own!

I also realized how much having multiple gears makes one lazy. I never thought 50x20 would be adequate for climbing, based on "geared" experience, but it works surprisingly well. I didn't do no monster hill yet, but without hassle, I did go up a few hills where I used to go down on the 34T ring before...

I think I'll become addict quite fast. Next ride should be more fun too because I made some important adjustments back at home (didn't have tools on the ride... what was I thinking?) and the fit is much better.

I'll update soon with pics. I love my new machine.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I'm glad to hear you 'got it' on your very first ride out....:D

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
roadfix said:
I'm glad to hear you 'got it' on your very first ride out....:D

everybody 'gets it' on their first ride... if not, they get bucked off like a popped collar yuppie on the mechanical bull at gilley's

·
hello
3,394 Posts
FatTireFred said:
everybody 'gets it' on their first ride... if not, they get bucked off like a popped collar yuppie on the mechanical bull at gilley's
Well.....I see and hear about many who immediately switch over to the freewheel side and stay there.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I have never ridden my fixed with a freewheel. I hear that alot but probably wont try it any time soon. If I feel the need to coast I need to get in better shape.:eek:ut: :cryin:

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Welcome to the club. It sounds like you had a fun, typical first ride. Your gearing is interesting. It's right in the upper-60 gear inch range many of us use, but the 50/20 combo is a bit unconventional. How did you choose that combo?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PdxMark said:
Welcome to the club. It sounds like you had a fun, typical first ride. Your gearing is interesting. It's right in the upper-60 gear inch range many of us use, but the 50/20 combo is a bit unconventional. How did you choose that combo?
...I didn't really choose it, maybe that's why I ended up with this. I bought a used fixie at a bargain price (200$ CAN - good condition, nice parts) and it came with that gearing. The shop owner told me it would be good enough for climbing and descending most hills around here. He may also be the man behind the 50/20 combo because he's actually the one who built the bike, for a friend of his.

This being my first venture in the fixed/singlespeed world, I trusted him on the gearing. It works, that's all I care for :)

P.S. I said earlier I would post pics... I tried to get a few nice shots, but the camera I had on hand had rather low resolution. The pics were too blurry to post online.

·
Registered
92 Posts
PdxMark said:
A friend was commenting on how inefficient my 15t cog was and told me I should use a 20t, maybe the builder was using similar logic?

Nice score for $200 CND. The hubs alone are worth that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave Hickey said:
I use a19t cog on mine...The only reason is the chainring I had laying around was 50T...

Good track chainrings are much more money than good cogs..It's cheaper to buy a new cog

Have fun with your new bike.......How about a picture?
The only camera I have access to isn't very good, it has rather low resolution - I tried to get some pics, but they were terrible. Lighting was bad too, I must admit... Tomorrow, I'll try again if it's nice ouside. The camera's resolution won't have improved, but good lighting may do the trick, who knows...

I really wish I had a crisp camera laying around, I'm rather proud of the bike and I sure would like to share some pics :)

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
+1 for Chainrings.
I had an old unused 50T Campy Track Chainring, so I combined it with a 21T Cog for a nice 64 Inch Gear. It draws a lot of comments, but works great.
Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are the pics!

Well, it took me a bit of time, but the weather was nice outside today and good lighting made a world of difference. Turns out the camera is pretty capable, it just adapts very poorly to bad lighting.

I noticed lately that the rear hub doesn't match the Campy front. It is unbadged and the build quality or finish isn't quite on par with Campagnolo stuff, but it rolls as fine as it gets so it's all OK :)

The paint is chipping, so I'll have a new paint job done when I have money - and I don't see that happening this summer! One of these days, I may also get a Record Pista rear hub to match the front one... Maybe.

Enough talking. Enjoy the pics :)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
fixed-gear aesthetics

(my humble opinion).

- clean up the rear hub and polish it a little. It looks similar enough

-don't paint it; just touch up the chips and polish a bit. Has more charm that way.

-please, move that pump to the seat tube, and trim the ends of those zipties or rubber bands or whatever they are. A short pump raggedly attached in the middle of the toptube totally wrecks the pretty lines of that bike. The only kind of pump that should ever be attached under the toptube is a full-length one.

Nice looking bike, really. As pdxmark said, the gear combo is a little unusual, but the 50 ring doesn't really look so oversized on that big frame.

Welcome the world of no coasting.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re : Aesthetics

Thanks for your advice JC, point taken. The pump will be more practical on the seattube anyway, because when I shoulder the bike upstairs to go out & ride, the pump gets in the way. And the rubber bands will go snip-snip to "proper" length.

Polishing the hubs is a good idea, I'll remember that one. I don't have much time at this moment because it's the end of the semester at university, but in 3-4 weeks I'll have plenty of time for this.

There are a few other things I'm considering to do at the moment, in relation to aesthetics :

-Get a Shimano 600 or DA 7400 single pivot brake. They are exactly the same size & shape as the flat grey single pivot Shimano Exage that is on the fork at the moment, but I'd love the shine of a polished front brake.

-Get a set of single-ring chainring bolts, to get rid of the inner 39T ring and leave my cranks looking cleaner.

-I'm still on the fence about the Shimano levers. I find them pretty thin & that causes a bit of discomfort... I prefer the feel of the Tektro R200A's that I have on my beater/commuter. However, the Shimano ones look more classy and they're not painful either. I think I just need to ride them more, and that's something I can fix easily :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Further constructive opinion - take it or leave it:

The bag under the seat looks a bit daggy - it clutters the bike up. If you have a nice steel frame, with slender seat stays and "square" lines, show it off!

My suggestion - cut down an old bidon, and put a minipump, spanner (rear wheel is bolted, not QR?) and tube inside, and throw it in the bottle cage. You should not need levers.

Check the handlebars bars out carefully - they look similar to a bar I broke (at high speed) in about 1983, due to metal fatique, and that was a painful lesson for a 15 years old to learn. Some of the early alloy gear was not noted for its longevity.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You Used The Operative Fixie Word:
"addict" Kind Of Sums Of What Fixed Gear Has Done To Me.

As For Yours, Strip Off All That Brake Crap, Get It Down To
Front Only, --if You Must ! - ( Just Teasing) "86" The Pump, Saddle
Bag, Lever Hoods, Cycle Comp.

Strip Her Down To A Bare Ass Fixie!

Then Ride Mean.

Okay, Wear The Helmet, Be Good.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Posing is also important aspect of cycling, but not exclusive to the fixed gear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts