Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That title isn't a typo. Went out today for my ride, second one on my new Schwalbe Ultremo ZXs, with the sun shining and great weather here in NYC. On my return lap I heard a nasty little *pop* followed by some angry hissing. After a quick expletive I dismounted and set out to repair my first road flat. What was in store for me was much worse.

The sidewall had a nasty double 2" slice. Fortunately I had a couple of Parks emergency boots and a spare tube. Even more fortunate was a rider took the time to pull over and not only help me out, but offered me lots of advice and pointers as well. Great guy and was truly appreciative for all his help. Really made a somewhat stressful situation manageable and informative.

I have some decisions to make going forward on what I am going to replace the tire with, likely I will ask for a replacement. But if more money is to be shelled, I may change to another model, maybe a Ultremo DD or Conti 4000s.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I'm glad you had a good experience. However If you ever don't have a tire boot, a dollar bill works perfect as a tire boot.
If it looks like you will hit road debris alot then a tougher tire should be your choice. They arnt as sexy, but getting flats every ride sucks big time.

Good luck.
Bill

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
..... a rider took the time to pull over and not only help me out, but offered me lots of advice and pointers as well. Great guy and was truly appreciative for all his help.
Sorry about the tire... but it's nice to get that first on-the-road flat experience behind you. I watched YouTube videos to learn how to fix a flat... and was lucky that my first flat was in my garage (had to fix it before I went cycling). It's best to practice the first tube change at home.

I am running Continental Ultra's this season and I like the way they handle. Haven't rode them long enough to comment on durability yet.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
.... If you ever don't have a tire boot, a dollar bill works perfect as a tire boot.
I've wrapped several inches of duct tape around a tire lever. Not only will it work as a boot... it can hold parts together or even serve as a emergency bandage.

·
Registered
965 Posts
First flat - $$. Riding home after the flat - priceless.

However If you ever don't have a tire boot, a dollar bill works perfect as a tire boot.
So if a 1$ bill works perfect, does a 5$ bill work perfecter? Or just 5 X better?

Wetworks, sorry about the ZXs. I have the DDs, and love 'em. You should see if Schwalbe will do anything for you. It sounds like a defective tire, and that's not the first time I've heard it.

·
Banned
4,235 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Always pass on the favor on to your fellow cyclists! I always ask the stopped rider if they need assistance. I was asked the other day if I need assistance by a passing cyclist while I was fixing a flat. Carry enough in your kit to get you or someone else out of a bind. This is what makes the cycling community suck a great group to belong to. Have fun!!

BTW> Some will disagree, but on your small puncture type flats save the tube and patch it when you get home. The tube I put in on my last flat has three patches on it and will get a fourth when the time comes.:D:D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First flat - $$. Riding home after the flat - priceless.
It was about a 7 mile ride and I was conscious of it the whole time, but yea that was a great ride.:D

So if a 1$ bill works perfect, does a 5$ bill work perfecter? Or just 5 X better?

Wetworks, sorry about the ZXs. I have the DDs, and love 'em. You should see if Schwalbe will do anything for you. It sounds like a defective tire, and that's not the first time I've heard it.
I had a $10 on me, so I would've been in really good shape then! Part of the reason I carry it is for the unforseen emergency purchase or boot.

I went to the LBS I bought it from. It was a special order as they don't typically stock Schwalbe. I will bring the tire in Monday and they will see what they can do.

2" slice sounds like a defective tire? IMHO ... Sounds like some nasty road debris to me...
While I agree it was a possibility, I don't think that was the case. I could find nothing in the vicinity where it happened and I am pretty vigilant riding and looking out for debris. Also, the two, non-connecting 2" slices really don't line up with a piece or two of debris, more like a failure from a puncture of something that hit just right, maybe even a sharp stone.

Glad it worked out for you. Always pass on the favor on to your fellow cyclists! I always ask the stopped rider if they need assistance. I was asked the other day if I need assistance by a passing cyclist while I was fixing a flat. Carry enough in your kit to get you or someone else out of a bind. This is what makes the cycling community suck a great group to belong to. Have fun!!

BTW> Some will disagree, but on your small puncture type flats save the tube and patch it when you get home. The tube I put in on my last flat has three patches on it and will get a fourth when the time comes.:D:D
I definitely will. I've stopped for cyclists before, but none of taken me up on any assistance. Appreciative for sure, but that's all. I carry enough in my kit I think. I have a spare tube (only can fit one), couple of tire levers, some boots, a patch, CO2 cartridge, a mini frame pump and the aforementioned $10. ;)

Thanks for all the advice! Apparently I have to spread more rep around as I can't give it to a few that commented. Funny how the most helpful get penalized. :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm a fan of the $5 (carried one for over 10 years in saddle bag). You can turn it into a $1 and something to eat/drink from a gas station as needed. I suppose if I use my own logic, a $5 and a $1 would be better. No reason to take the boot out to buy something.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick followup; the wholesaler is saying it looks like a road debris incident and will not replace the tire. The LBS has written to Schwalbe, so we'll see where that goes. I ordered new Ultremo DDs in the mean time and hope to have them installed by the weekend. I'll post an update on how they perform along with a couple of pics of the Ultremo ZX damage.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I posted an update in the other thread about the DDs here if you care to read it:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/g...x-4-season-vs-schwalbe-ultremo-dd-301268.html

As for the ZXs, I now have to contact Schwalbe directly and supply them with a host of information. In examining the tire, I noticed that the first slice was not responsible for the failure, the second, trailing one was. That strikes me as particularly odd. It's hard to see in these quick and dirty pics, but there is a depression that follows and precedes the two slices as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.