Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Don't Tread on Me
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First FTP test tomorrow - climbing ok? UPDATED with results..

I'm having a hard time finding ~10miles of unobstructed ( stop signs, intersections, lights, etc ) road to conduct a FTP test on, but there is no shortage of climbs to do it on here in Colorado.

Is it ok to perform the test on a steady climb?

Also, do you think that the 5min all out effort mentioned in Hunter Allen's book ( Training And Racing With A Powermeter ) is required?

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing what kind of numbers ( low ones for sure :D ) I'm going to put down tomorrow.

·
Don't Tread on Me
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also have the choice of a approx. 9.7 mile route which includes just one, short ( 100 yards ) climb of about 7% grade.

Which would you choose? The steady climb, or the mostly flat route?

Thanks.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I've had a power meter for about 2 months now.. Did my initial FTP test on a decent section of road and had a few spikes.. 2 slow downs.. and 1 over reached effort. Didn't throw me off much but likely decreased my average slightly because of the recovery needed.

The second time I tried an FTP test I got a flat half way through.. Had averaged 301watts for 10 minutes at that point.. Was really sad to have to pull over.

From what I've noticed riding with the power meter it's easier to be more consistent at slower speeds. High speeds near 27-32mph give you too much variation because if wind and road slope. Harder to keep a constant wattage..

I'm planning my next test indoors because I want it to be smooth. I know my FTP has gone up by at least 11 watts because I've done a few 20 min efforts with higher numbers than before.. just not formally tested.

As for the 5 min all out effort... I don't think it's 100% necessary.. However it does prime the legs for the coming effort. I personally can NOT go all out for any length of time unless I've already gone really hard previously.

So... Based on my infinite wisdom gained from 2 months of using a Powertap.. Look for slower speeds and a constant grade.

Good luck!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Don't do it indoors on a trainer. Your numbers will be significantly off. I'd only do it indoors if you're trying to get an FTP number for indoor training during the winter. (My indoor FTP was 40 watts lower than my outdoor FTP and my average heart rate was actually higher when I did it indoors.)

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Most people can get higher numbers on a climb than on the flat. I do it on a climb. I'm not looking to measure how much slower I am on the flat, I'm looking to measure the power I can make under the best circumstances.

Whichever you do, use the same type of grade in the future so you can compare.

The 5min effort is required for some protocols. It will use up your ability to go anaerobic, so in the 20 min test you are measuring your aerobic capacity. If you're going to take 90% or 95% of the 20min effort, then the 5 min is not required. If you're going to use the 20 min as FTP then it is.

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
ericm979 said:
The 5min effort is required for some protocols. It will use up your ability to go anaerobic, so in the 20 min test you are measuring your aerobic capacity. If you're going to take 90% or 95% of the 20min effort, then the 5 min is not required. If you're going to use the 20 min as FTP then it is.
That's the theory, but I'm not so sure it's right though. Perhaps that's why Dr Coggan himself doesn't support that method.

I think it is better (if a full 1-hr TT isn't feasible) to do separate ~ 5-min and 20-30 min tests (e.g a ~10-mile TT) on different days of the same week.

Not only do you get your 20-min (or slightly longer) mean max power, but with the 5-min test you can then use the Critical Power model to provide a solid FTP estimate and provide a better means of assessing anaerobic vs aerobic abilities.

As for hill v flat - why not do one on one week and the other the next week? Then you'll learn a bit more about your abilities and get a great workout anyway. Testing is training, training is testing.

·
Don't Tread on Me
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I went out, and did the test yesterday, and here are the results:

Lap 2:
Duration: 20:00
Work: 303 kJ
TSS: 33.4 (intensity factor 1.001)
Norm Power: 253
VI: 1
Pw:HR: 7.39%
Pa:HR: 13.79%
Distance: 7.197 mi
Elevation Gain: 69 ft
Elevation Loss: 69 ft
Grade: 0.0 % (4 ft)
Min Max Avg
Power: 18 423 253 watts
Heart Rate: 133 170 165 bpm
Cadence: 27 116 89 rpm
Speed: 14.7 26.8 21.6 mph
Pace 2:14 4:04 2:47 min/mi
Altitude: 4543 4599 4565 ft
Crank Torque: 57 385 239 lb-in

I cut out all the warm up data, and just posted my "lap 2" which was my 20 minute interval. I ended up doing the 5min all out effort as per the book.

How long should I wait ( rest ) until I begin testing for my "power profile" and "fatigue profile" - again, from the book Training And Racing With A Power Meter?

Thanks for all the help. The testing is kind of fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts