Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got these built up by my local LBS. I was going to tackle wheelbuilding but I figured the price vs time for me to build it would equal out. I have young twins and I would rather use the time riding.

The Pacenti rims are very nice. My only gripe is the rim wear indicator is huge! Maybe I'm just used to the pinhole markers from other manufacturers. Also I had a heck of a time getting my tires on, but with some muscle I was able to get it on. Hopefully the Durano S's will stretch out a bit so that if I flat on the road, I won't have to struggle too much.

I bought some Velox tape but they are too narrow for this rim, so we used Stans tape instead.

The BHS hubs were really nice. I don't know how they compare to CK's or Alchemy or whatever high end brands there may be, but I can't tell the difference from my old Easton R4SL's except that they spin substantially longer on the stand. The hubs are not extremely loud, but are noticeable. I ended up with the SLF71W front and SL218 rear. I will try to upload the sound later when I have some time. I originally recorded an audio note from my iphone but can't get the file out for some reason.

My wheelbuilder opened the rear hub up and said they look very nice for the price that I paid for them, and that they look similar to novatec hubs fwiw.

Brandon from BHS was very helpful and the spoke calculator was accurate. The weight of the total build was 1420g not including skewers. Maybe one day I will splurge and get CK hubs but for my type of riding I'm sure I will enjoy this build. I will followup in this thread with a ride report this weekend.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Man, I got into an epic battle with my set of Pacenti's as well. One tire (Conti Gatorskins) went on ok, but the second one was a complete *$&%^&. After fighting it forever, I actually took it to my LBS and had them help. It took them a while and basically they said, "Good luck if you get a flat!" I'm hoping that the bead is a bit more stretched by the time I get a flat :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing that happened was that 2 conti race tubes exploded when I pumped them to 110psi. At 100 they were fine. So I put my old tubes back on and pumped them to 110 and so far so good. I'm not sure if it's the tubes, rims, or my install but I'm not a complete noob to changing tubes so I'm thinking it's the tubes.

Chinaman - I was picking my wheelbuilders brain about the CK hubs and he said I would probably feel a difference, but they wouldn't necessarily make me faster. All in all I'm very happy with the extra $300 in my wallet lol

bwbishop - i had to use the tire lever to get them on, otherwise no go. I've got them pumped up pretty high right now so I'll just leave it for a bit. Hopefully when the weather warms up it'll get easier but I'm worried about getting a flat on the road now...

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Chris King r45 Hubs and this build spec out at 1428. Let me throw the freshly laced ones on the scale.... Front (drum roll please) - 652gm. Rear - 787gm. 1439gm total. Must have used a lot of grease around those nipple bases.....

My pair is laced 2x all around. Alloy nipples. Black CX rays.

I'll tension them tomorrow.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was picking my wheelbuilders brain about the CK hubs and he said I would probably feel a difference, but they wouldn't necessarily make me faster...
They definitely won't make you any faster and I can't imagine why you would feel a difference. Both hubs engage very fast and roll smooth, like any hub in good shape. I love my R45's, but from a utility or measurable performance standpoint they are identical to my BHS hubs. You made a great choice, don't second guess yourself or feel any buyer's remorse.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Hoping to get out for a decent ride tomorrow. Hopefully the rain will stop!
Nice ride. :thumbsup:I should know, I have last years in the red team Cofidis paint scheme. Looking for very similar wheels to yours, right down to the hubs, except I'll be going with Kinlin 279's (28mmX23mm)

·
Registered
159 Posts
What quick releases are you using? My wife got me a pair built up with Chris King hubs as an anniversary present (+1 for the wife :thumbsup:), and I just need a set of good quick releases.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Another thing that happened was that 2 conti race tubes exploded when I pumped them to 110psi. At 100 they were fine. So I put my old tubes back on and pumped them to 110 and so far so good. I'm not sure if it's the tubes, rims, or my install but I'm not a complete noob to changing tubes so I'm thinking it's the tubes.
The install. Tubes are not under stress if they are properly installed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.