Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too bad is not for myself. I can feel my heart pumping when my son told me
about this. His friends is planing a ride/camp trip from Vancouver to San Jose.
I'd like to get our RBR folks advise to mak their trip safer and more enjoyable.
I havn't talk to his friends/parents yet and I will when I get to the point to approve
his trip. Bottom line is I'd like him to go if they are well prapared and know what
they are doing. Here are some fact about them.

They are not frequent cyclist. My son is fit and had rides with me few times
on Montebello, Mountain Hamilton and Bohlman etc in bayarea . I don't
know about his friends. They will use mountain bike with some modification.
They DO NOT have support vehicle. They plan to finish in 3 weeks.

I don't know the details of their plan yet but
here is my concerns and needed input from you.

* route selection, traffic etc.
* when to ride in a day. I'd ride in the early moring and avoid ride when its too hot.
* bike equipment: spare tubes/tire, pump, patch, brake pad ?
* food: bar, gu ..
* cloth: Jercy ....
* Sattlelite phone: ?
* GPS: how to get it recharged?
* bike prepare: what to do with a regular mountain bike.
* bags and rack
* what else ?

Thanks in advance

Tapeng

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Start with Adventure Cycling.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/?OVRAW=adventure cycling&OVKEY=adventure cycling&OVMTC=standard

They have maps and good suggestions.

About the only things I can add to what they have is to suggest that the kids take a weekend trip with everything they plan to carry on the longer trip. They will learn a lot about what works for them and what doesn't.

MTN bikes are fine although I would change to tires for road use.

They are going to have quite an adventure.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Pacific Coast Route

As noted by MB1, the Adventure Cycling Pacific Coast route (adventurecycling.org) is exactly what your son's crew is planning, so they can buy a map set that details the entire route (every single turn), listing campgrounds, bike shops, motels, grocery stores, history, weather, geology, etc. The Adventure Cycling web site also has a lot of information about what to pack, tour planning, etc. MB1's advice for them to do a weekend trip is excellent - they will find that they need some stuff that they didn't take, and that they took a bunch of stuff that they didn't need. Also, with a north-to-south route, sunscreen will be a key issue, especially on the face!

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
The great thing is that at 17 and 16, they could do the trip on a big wheel and still have a blast. They've got youth on their side, so equipment choices are less important- when you're that age, you'll haul 40 pounds just because you can. And, it doesn't matter what shape you are in at the begining of a 3 week trip- by the end, you'll be in shape...

·
Registered
20 Posts
My co-workers son, aged 22 did the same route last summer. pm me your email and I can forward it to him if you want.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The route through Oregon should be real nice if they hit the coastal route. Just be wary, lots of hills, very curvy roads (some with limited visibility, but most all have very good shoulders), and it takes time to work through there. Driving that route is fun but also very exhausting, and once you're over the range and on the coast, it's best to stick with it.

Positives, that route is very well shaded from the tree growth, plus being on the coast range it is cooler, much cooler than inland. I have some contacts in Coquille (Coos Bay) that could put them up for a night and get them a good home cooked meal. Let me know and I can start working on the details with you. The route is very well traveled by cyclists all the time (almost year round), and as long as they have enough spare tubes or at a minimum several patch kits, they should be OK getting from town to town. Most will have some kind of small bike shop for support.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vancouver --> SanJose

MB1, I joinded the club through the link and ordered the map
for pacific coast. I need to spend some time to brows through
their website to get other information.

Konaman, thanks for the heads up on the Oregon route.
I sent you my email address by mistake.

Stratos, I just sent you my email address. I'd appreciate if
you can forward to your friend.

It turns out it's too late for my son to join the ride team.
The team(two people) leave by train at 6/19.
But this instance give me this whopping idea about touring ride.
I am planing the tour for myself, son and wife this summer.
I'll post a new thread for some issues I am considering.

Thanks folks for all the advise.

Tapeng

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.