Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my centurion ghetto SS for a few months on 20-30 mile rides but nothing longer. Someone in our club posted a 65 mile ride through some rather hilly country and I decided to give it a go on the SS. I dropped off the wheelset for my geared bike for truing so I couldn't change my mind. I was committed.

The ride is 65 miles from Buena Vista Va to the beautiful Goshen pass of the Maury River and back with a couple of moderate climbs and some good steep rollers. Around 5000 feet of climbing or so. Well I thought it would hurt, I was wrong. It really wasn't that much harder than using my geared bike, even on the climbs. We had a group of about 20 and for most of the ride I found myself out front unless we were on fast flats following a paceline. I'm no climber but having to stand and hammer up the hills just works out that you climb faster than people spinning up. It's over quickly and your at the top. I wasn't trying to go faster, it just happened. Every hill I dreaded was not as bad as feared. I did this ride soon after starting on the road a few years ago and remember it being much tougher with a triple. I think it's the training on the SS and the 15 lbs I've lost doing so that helped the most.

I got to the last dreaded climb which had a 200 yd section of 15+% according to our gadget guru on the ride. I barely made it with my triple a few years ago. I barely made it up this time even with a couple of zigzags but I made it. 3-4 folks walked it with triples!

Thanks to the encouragement from you Fixie/SS guys I'm sold on this thing. I still have to try fixed, but I'm going one step at a time. Next I'm going to try the local big climb, Thunder Ridge and go for an easy century in August. I'm also thinking about doing a local hilly century (Artie Levin) on the SS in the fall. I don't think Mountains of Misery is on my list but I have to start somewhere...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
VaughnA said:
I got to the last dreaded climb which had a 200 yd section of 15+% according to our gadget guru on the ride. I barely made it with my triple a few years ago. I barely made it up this time even with a couple of zigzags but I made it. 3-4 folks walked it with triples!
I bet you felt like Superman! Congratulations on your newfound SS passion.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BianchiJoe said:
I bet you felt like Superman! Congratulations on your newfound SS passion.
Superman wasn't doing a cadence of about 5, huffing and puffing and zigzagging up the last hill. But it did feel good. I've got a couple of folks conivnced to convert an old bike to ss and give it a try. So I hope to share the passon.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
Sweet....go fixed. It makes it that much more fun....although you may dred the downhills a bit (more than the uphills!)

The connected to the bike feeliing you get while riding fixed makes the whole thing more than worth it IMO. Chances are you'll love it even more than SS.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ChuckUni said:
Sweet....go fixed. It makes it that much more fun....although you may dred the downhills a bit (more than the uphills!)

The connected to the bike feeliing you get while riding fixed makes the whole thing more than worth it IMO. Chances are you'll love it even more than SS.
I'm planning on trying it but with brakes! There is not a flat mile around here (Lynchburg Va) so I'm taking it slow. I want to make sure I can go up before I learn to go downhill. I think I've proved that I can go up. I guess I'm stuck with an SS for a while since my geared wheelset had a warranty problem and I won't have wheels for a week or two.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt it. I walked with a compact... But you never know do you? You proved that you can ride anything with a fixie that day. You were around a friend of mine at the finish. She asked if I had seen the crazy on the fixed gear grinding up the mountain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.