Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tell me about your first encounter with your significant other. How did you meet and what do you most remember?

For me, Ella and I were introduced by a mutual friend.....within 30 seconds of meeting we were finishing each others sentences and I felt like I had known her for a very long time......it was very unusual. I ran as far and as fast as I could in the other direction....I wanted no part of it. Unbeknownst to me, Ella was feeling the same thing wi the exact same reaction. Neither of us wanted any kind of intense relationship.

Fortunatly, someone had a different idea, so for about 6 months after, every where either of us went in the town we lived, we ran into each other........we kept being thrown together......after a while w gave in..........that was over 20 years ago.

So how about you?

Len

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Another "Friend of a friend" story, although in this case it was "friend of an ex..."

M was my ex-live-in-GF's friend and co-worker, and we met at a group gathering something like eight years ago now, which seems like a heck of a long time.

We got on as friends first, but I didn't see her "like that" -- just thought she was smart and fun.

Well, three years later, we met again -- both of us had broken up with respective teenaged SO's, and M had found herself, I suppose, as a young woman.

She ditched the large brass-rimmed glasses and awkward grandma jeans for short, pixie-cut red hair, hipster black plastic rimmed specs, and an eyebrow ring, plus had lost fifteen pounds of "baby fat" -- and most importantly, got the confidence that came with that.

I wasn't into NNC then, but I did like cool cars, and her Mitsu was red, turbo, slammed, all-wheel-drive, and we got into trouble in and with it.

These last five years we've had a few times together and a few times apart, but not quite two years ago now we figured out that we're in it for the long haul -- it's been good times since.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hokie was in the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. A friend of mine, who was also in the Corps, and I were working on an engineering project in his dorm when she walked in to ask if he wanted dinner. We were introduced and talked for 5-10 minutes. After she left I turned to our friend and said, "dude, you have got to help me out with some contact info." After I left that night Hokie returned to his room hoping I would still be there and asked our friend, "who was that guy in here earlier?" Luckily he took the hint and gave me her info later that night. We went on our first date the next week and have been together now for 10 years, married 6.

Oh, and the friend is still a good friend who we hang out with regularly.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
I came out of the college auditorium and the future Mrs. Porter was standing on a small hill alone (waiting for a friend) in pigtails, wearing a yellow shirt, a skirt and flip-flops. I was instantly smitten and will never get that vision out of my head. She was/is gorgeous.

As for when I first met her, well, that was a couple of months later (I was dating a girl at the first viewing) we went on a walk and I proposed because I knew she was the one. She turned me down but we later got married (exactly 8 years ago today).

There hasn't been a single moment where I wished that I hadn't married her. Not one. I'm a really lucky guy to have such a partner.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I had gotten divorced and ran into a friend of mine whom I knew a long time ago. She was married, anyway she calls me at work, real nervous like and ask me if I am dating. I'm thinking, this is awkward, I kind of know her husband...anyway, she wanted to introduce me to someone, which ended up being a perfect match, but imagine my thoughts when I was getting the phone call.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Ejdo said:
After I left that night Hokie returned to his room hoping I would still be there and asked our friend, "who was that guy in her earlier?"
So she was open-minded from the get-go?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mine was a car hop at a drive in I used to hang out in my gearhead days. It sounds cliche but I knew the day I met her that I wanted to marry her. I was 18 she was 16. We married the next year. 36 years, 3 sons, and 3 1/2 grandchildren later, I love and respect her more everyday.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
We were setup on a blind date and met a coffee house in Tustin. I parked in my car and waited to see her before I got out and introduced myself. That was almost 6 years ago and we are happy as hell together. Her kids and my kids love each other and we love all of them. Just a happy melded family of 9!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
19 years ago last week I went to West Virginia to Kayak with a friend for her birthday. I was broke and ended up riding over with a friend to save gas money. I arrived at the campground around dinner time and saw a girl coming out of the campground bathrooms. I thought it was a member of our club but it wasn't, it was her cute sister Melinda who had come up to ride the club raft down the New River Gorge. We were introduced beside 'the rock' outside the bathrooms.

We hit it off immediately, spending that evening smoking, drinking and talking late into the night. I spent the next day hovering around the raft in my kayak as we flirted with each other all day long. She called me the Yellow Buzzard because of the yellow kayak I was paddling. I got her number the next morning before leaving for home. Her brother in law said he thought I was smitten, he was right.

We had our first date 2 weeks later, we were engaged after 6 weeks and were married 6 months after our meeting. We're still best friends and celebrate August 23rd as much as our 'real' anniversary. I'm so glad I was talked into going to Hico West Virginia in 1991.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
In true chemistry nerd fashion we met in a research lab. He was finishing up his PhD. I was the naive undergrad with an NSF summer grant. He started asking me questions about quantum mechanics over the Argon ion laser. I thought he was a bit of a jerk. A few weeks later I asked him to a John Hartford concert because I had an extra ticket. We ended up spending the whole weekend together, (yes on the first date!) Dated the rest of the summer. Long distance relationship for 4 years. Moved in together, married 3 years later. This October will be our 22nd anniversary. Working out so far.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Met my wife on a blind date.
A friend of mine had done a musical with her and showed me the film. (not really a blind date for me)
We called her, she was involved.
I decided to stalk. Not really.
I called the hospital and they were able to tell me her unit (against their policy)

We talked for over an hour on the phone.
She told me to call back in a month saying "you never know what will happen"
Put it on the calender and caller her back. Still dating the smuck.
Forgot about her.
Cleaning out my wallet about 6 months later found her name and called. She was free.
Met at a local bar and we stayed until 2am talking. Dated and married.
10 plus years later and two children, she is my best friend.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
About 29 years ago to this day I took a girl to the Bruce Springsteen concert at Red Rocks. I met her friend.

My wife and I are still friends with the girl I took to the concert.

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
I asked my wife out on a date while in a local bar. I was three asheets to the winds... she said sure and then never returned a phone call.. I ran into her a few months later and tried to act mad but couldn't. I was sober and asked her out again. We went out two nights later (Nov. 6, 2004) and have only had a few nights apart since then. We are together always. We even work for the same company now and drive to work 100mi round trip together.

I can't figure out how I ever lived before I met her.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
my roomate lost the diamond out of his ring in her ultrasonic (she had a repair shop when I met her) snowballed on me......8 months later we were married.......almost 31 years later....still married

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Mutual Friend

A friend of ours decided we needed to meet. Neither one of us had any interest in a relationship. The common denominator was this friend that was going to be relentless until we were properly introduced. The path of least resistance was a blind meeting. I called, she called, we met outside her condo in Belltown (one block from the Pike Place Market, Seattle). We walked, had a drink at a bar, decided we were both too busy for the next month or so.....next day her calendar magically cleared up, my calendar magically cleared up and we had an official date a week later. The rest is history. We will celebrate that date on Sept 30. That was 12 years ago (been married 11). Our first offiicial date was a day trip. On the mountain drive we pulled over and watched a double row, end to end rainbow. Never seen on before, never seen one since.:thumbsup:

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,268 Posts
I got a job at a record store. I was upstairs in the Classical Section. She was working downstairs, in the section that sold cassettes and Eight Tracks. The store manager introduced me to my fellow employees. Including her. We ate lunch a couple times. One evening, she had an extra ticket to a Chick Corea concert. Her first choice for the ticket bugged out on her, so guess who got the invite? I was already smitten. I had to come up with a suitable second date, so I got us opera tickets. Carmen. Second row center. We wore our best clothes. Yeah.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts