Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at wearing MTB shoes for road biking. Mainly b/c I don't want to slip around on tile floors or anything if I ever have to walk around. Also I hear they are more comfortable. I am a newbie to buying shoes and I have made a short list:

Sidi Bullet 2's: 139.99
Sidi Blaze (new for 06): 119.99
Shimano M121 94.99

I have big feet and wear a 50. . . does anyone have any suggestions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go with the Sidi's if you have wide feet. Look for replaceable heel pads. If you ride in the heat/wet you may want to look for more mesh and holes in the soles rather than leather. Sole stiffness is important for power transfer. I wear a 45 and have wide but not huge feet, and am happy with my Shimano R151 which you can find somewhere around your price point.

Cheers-

·
Banned
349 Posts
Try to find a shop where you have lots and lots of choices. Then try on lots of shoes and pay attention to fit.

Never fails to amaze me how I can get my foot into a shoe, or several but they don't really "fit" and after trying on maybe a dozen pairs I start to pare down the list of contenders.

Fit is essential in a shoe. Everything else is secondary.

I have a pair of cycling shoes with no cleats (circa 1990) for MTB and recreational riding. I can walk in them. I can't stand up very well in my road bike shoes. And so I think you comment about "walking around on tiles" makes sense.

Racing shoes are for racing. If you're recreational, you'd be best served by a shoe you can walk in.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
sidi

The upper-end Sidi road and MTB shoes are available in regular and both wide ("Mega") and narrower versions. Almost no one stocks the narrow ones.

I wear race gear for my "recreational" (i.e. not racing) cycling. But the most walking around I do on a ride is to the port-a-potties at rest stops at centuries, and I am used to walking in road cleats. My normal rides involve zero walking. If your riding involves more walking or you find them more comfortable in general, there's nothing wrong with using MTB shoes on the road.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I have to wear Sidi Mega's, (wide), because of a foot injury. Prior to that I wore Shimano's. My favorite was the 151's. The Shimano 151's are also made in wide sizes, but not wide enough for me.

I'm not at all happy with the Sidi Genius Mega's. IMO, the quality of construction, weight, and over-all comfort does not compare to the Shimano 151's. As for the ratchet strap on the Sidi's, I just have to ask why? I don't like it a bit. Was / is there something wrong with Velcro? The ratchet is a pain in the butt.

Bottom line for me is: Shimano 151 = great shoes. Sidi Genius = meh!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
MTB shoes have a lot of benifits.
I credit an early season performance at a hill climb to those babies. It was damm cold out but with spd's and bulky traction around the cleat i was able to jog in place at the start line. (it snowed on us by the top of the 5m climb) I kept my legs warm and that was key for that day. Just got some Shimano 151 shoes and the M2 orb (6/4 ti) pedals. Shaved about a pound from the old shiman shoes and cheeper SPDs. Even the weight diffrence i had the best footwear out there for that day.

you get a lot more off bike comfort with the mountain shoes. My 151s fit great. I've got a wide foot that narrows at the heal so fits are a pain for me. But they are sweet. Walking around is dangerous. Carbon slips really easily. But i bought those for racing not walking.

If you're not going to be racing i'd just buy the MTB shoes (espically if you ride off road too!) The weight isn't much of an issue in fact, its making you stronger. Comfort is key. Go to your LBS and try on the shoes, wear them around the store. However, walking is a lot diffrent then ridding clipped in. Using your hand, simulate the forces on the shoe... does your heal float? any pinching? pull downward at the toe to simulate and upward pull stroke, any strange seam that might get anoying?

btw, my old shoes were also shimano's put about 30k miles on them, half road half off. they were falling apart but thats when they fit best!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I ride mountain shoes (specialized sport + spd) on my road bike and they are very comfortable, easy to walk and stand in. The only problem is the funny looks I get from roadies. I just got a new road bike and plan to get some new road shoes and pedals to go with it. In shoping for shoes, I was amazed at how much stiffer the road shoes were than the mtb. We'll see if it makes a difference in the riding. I'm guessing any improvements will come from the spd-sl pedals over spd, rather than the shoes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts