Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I'm just getting back into riding after a 15 year layoff. I picked up a late 90's Mondonico with 8-speed Campy Record. Love the way the bike rides. Much plusher than the Klein Qunatum Pro I road in the 90's. My question is this.....if I were going to upgrade the gruppo, what should I consider? Only Campy? And if so which group? Or should I even consider Shimanoi or Sram? You opinions would be welcome.

Thanks - Howard

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
Man, I'd leave it exactly like it is. The Campy Record 8-speed group with the Ergo shifters is perfect for that bike, IMHO.

If you absolutely have to upgrade it, I'd go with 11-s Record or Chorus Carbon with a compact double crank, but the carbon won't look as good as what you've got.

Again, just MHO.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
+1 with Scooper. If you really have that itch, Athena 11 for the alu bits which still maintain the look.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
You scored with a real beauty there - don't change a thing other than using good tires, which they make much better nowadays.

Your biggest handicap will be lugging (lil' pun there) around the extra five pounds compared to your buddies on the latest Ti or CF rides. That could hurt you in the climbs, but not too badly in the flats.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Agree with everyone. You don't mention any particular problems. Check out chain & cassette wear. The cassettes are still around if you need to replace. 9-speed chains work fine if not better than the original.

When you've been riding a year or so, and think you deserve it, get a modern bike, but don't change anything on this one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I'll go with the consensus and leave the bike alone. It's been tuned-up and has no apparent problems.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I love Campagnolo 8 speed. The only recommendation I would have, is if the gearing is too high for you, go to a compact crank. Other than that, ride it until it breaks, then see if it can be repaired inexpensively (likely).

Mondonico's are fine bikes. Does yours have Nemo tubing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts