Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first road bike race next Saturday. It is a 16 mile loop with a long climb and descent. Any tips for getting ready? I am planning on training Mon.-Thurs and taking Fri. off to rest for the race. Any other tips for a first race?

· Registered
195 Posts
Firstly, I wouldn't rest on Friday as you'll risk your legs feeling flat for the race. I usually do some intensity on tues or wed and then on Friday do an easy spin with 2 threshold efforts of 3mins just to wake the legs up.

You also didnt mention how long the race is - I am assuming more than 1 lap? Depending on how long the race is, you need to plan on race day warm up. If it's an hour or so you need to make sure to warm up properly - I usually warm up for 1 hr with a couple of 2 min threshold efforts and 2 sprints at 75%.

Since it's your first race, you may want to sit in and get a feel for things. That being said, try sit in the top 20 - it's safer and you can drift to the back on the hill if need be.

hope that helps

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is actually only 1 lap, i race in the juniors cat and it is short. anyways, I ride with my team mon-thurs so I have to be there. Anyways thanks.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Be prepared to get your a$$ handed to you. Racing is harder than you think.

Do a search on similar threads.

· Registered
960 Posts
Don't go in with expectations of much more than finishing with the pack... that way...
You won't be disappointed, you won't feel like racing sucks, and you won't have that embarrassing "oooo, look that dude got dropped in the first 4 miles", and you won't have the over anxious thought to attack early.

Just a thought

· Registered
2,771 Posts
enjoy it. learn from it. and look forward to the next one.

after, really think about what you did well and what you didn't.
few actualy take the time to do this. It takes them a lot longer to 'figure out' racing.

· scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
The profile of this thing is going to make most of the difference. If the climb is as long as you seem to think... I dont see Jrs sticking together. If they do stick together its because they all are nervous about each other... but this late in the season... Im going to assume that the more solid JRs will know who each other are and set their hooks accordingly. If there is a guy in the front that everyone seems to just be sitting on... thats the guy to watch.

If the hill is long and or severe.... I see it gapping out, and someone getting away solo even though its only 16 miles. With the JR gearing, wrapping up on the downhill and remaining distance after the descent... Im going to think that it may be a bit more difficult to close a big gap. If the hill is early on, then it will come back together as I haven't found many Jrs that can TT all that well. If it is later on, those over the hill first will win... etc. So, position yourself accordingly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.