Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I signed up for my license in April, and my first race was Last Sunday Crit cat 4,5. The guy with the mega phone says, " ok guys 30 minutes and 1 lap." The race starts... every one was going freakin 31-33 out from the start. Then things calmed down after the 3rd lap still high 20's

Didn't finish with the top 10 but top 20. I guess more intervals for me!

What was shocking (but I'm not taking away the fact that he won) the winner was this cock diesel guy...looked like a weight lifter. Legs were huge. He powered in for the final sprint... a friend that was watching thought he was going to pop his chain with the force he was putting on this bike.

What I wanted to know is what weight should I be (a suggestion)? I do have some weight to loose. I'm 5'8 212 boyfat (Omron) 23.6. under 200?

I was 265 in 05 went down to 190... then in 08 went over 200. Trying to get back down.

Any thoughts?

·
What the Hell is going on
5,894 Posts
Don't worry about the physical condition of your competitors, as a beginner you should enjoy the racing experience. In due time you'll look like "that" guy. Congrats!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I've seen scrawny guys sprint like the wind and big tanks power up hills. Don't worry about others. Focus on your improvments. Congrats on the weight loss so far and the first race you did!
keep at it!

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
+1 above.

But, 23% bodyfat is on the high end of the bike racer scale. Get it down in the 10-15% range for most of the guys I see, and lower if you have the discipline. That'll be like taking 20 pound off your bike... you will notice the difference on hills (plus of course you'll be faster by then anyway).

At 5'8" and 190 you'll still be bulkier than average but at least within the usual range. Then it's your choice if you want to give up upper body mass for the sake of bike racing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.