Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First race ever next weekend....starting to get excited and nervous...No real goals besides learning about it and finishing.....either with or without the pack. Also interested in seeing my progress fitness wise....Went out and drove the course today, Was going to ride it, but it's pouring here, most of the course is gravel/fire roads, one hill is a winding 18% grade----OUCH...that is going to suck.....BAD...anyway here's the link. I'm doing the beginner's class....Any Advice?

http://www.velorochester.com/

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
physasst said:
First race ever next weekend....starting to get excited and nervous...No real goals besides learning about it and finishing.....either with or without the pack. Also interested in seeing my progress fitness wise....Went out and drove the course today, Was going to ride it, but it's pouring here, most of the course is gravel/fire roads, one hill is a winding 18% grade----OUCH...that is going to suck.....BAD...anyway here's the link. I'm doing the beginner's class....Any Advice?

http://www.velorochester.com/
Umm, that looks HARSH. Be prepared to walk with your bike I guess!

Are you bringing your mtn bike or road or cyclo cross?

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Looks silly...

bas said:
Umm, that looks HARSH. Be prepared to walk with your bike I guess!

Are you bringing your mtn bike or road or cyclo cross?
Looks silly to me.

If you're going to have an off road race, why not just have a mountain bike race?

If you're going to have a road race, then have a road race fer crying out loud. Nothing wrong with tossing in a few stretches of dirt road here and there to make it interesting, but it's just silly to run the whole thing on a dirt road.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
magnolialover said:
Looks silly to me.

If you're going to have an off road race, why not just have a mountain bike race?

If you're going to have a road race, then have a road race fer crying out loud. Nothing wrong with tossing in a few stretches of dirt road here and there to make it interesting, but it's just silly to run the whole thing on a dirt road.
I don't think they have paved roads in Minnesota, so it would be hard to have a real road race.
:rolleyes:

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
santcruzer said:
Looks like fun to me. Leave it up to the racer to decide what is the best bike for the course conditions, I think I'd pick a cyclocross bike...
I'm taking my cyclocross bike, gonna run 30's on it. I used to race a LOT of BMX as a kid, but this is my first "grown-up" race. Mag's/Bas, we have a lot of paved roads here with a lot of real road races....the LBS that puts this on is trying to capture the feeling of the early spring Euro classics with their cobblestoned streets etc. Well, we don't have any cobblestone, but we do have gravel roads....They could have made it an all paved race, but they wanted to have a little early spring fun....I'm just dreading that friggin hill......:(

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oxbow

I am doing this one as well, B race. See my post in General regarding tires. I'll bring a road and a cross bike and use the cross if it rains and is muddy. Otherwise the road bike.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Suddha said:
I am doing this one as well, B race. See my post in General regarding tires. I'll bring a road and a cross bike and use the cross if it rains and is muddy. Otherwise the road bike.

Suddha, et al, I just rode 52 miles yesterday in a 24mph head wind for the way out with the organizers of this race. There is going to be a little twist with the finish. They are now going to have the finish at the TOP of the hill. So, the A class will do the 20+% grade 4 times, the B's 3 times, and the C class will do it twice. OUCH...might try and go preride wed or thurs pm. Hope to see ya there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ouch

How long is the hill? .25 mile, .5 mile? Is it 20+% the whole way up, or does it kick up at a certain point.

I put a 11x28 cassette on my road bike this week in preparation.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Suddha said:
How long is the hill? .25 mile, .5 mile? Is it 20+% the whole way up, or does it kick up at a certain point.

I put a 11x28 cassette on my road bike this week in preparation.

It's not that long thankfully, I just went and pre-rode it last night. I could only make it about 3/4 of the way up. I wasn't in my lowest gear though, and my legs were pretty sore still from sunday, so I didn't push it really hard. I might be able to do it once, but I don't know about twice. It is probably variable from 18% to 21% at it's steepest and it winds in an S pattern. It's about 1/3 mile long I would say, at least the steep portion. Once you get to the top of the steep part, it begins to level out but is still a gentler climb for a little while.
My lowest gear is a 36/25, and I tried it last night in a 36/23 gear. It doesn't help that I weigh 214# either though. We'll see, I'm going to try it anyway, may be walking up that portion, but so it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.