Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'll say this...the bike did better than expected given the course I rode it on.

I actually used the bike for the first race of a short track XC series (30 minute races). I raced in the Sport Senior Men's class and part of the course was on a motocross track and part through some grassy single-track, with some mud thrown in for good measure. The course was very rough and more suited to a full suspension MTB than a cross bike so I spent a lot of time out of the saddle.

With that said...there wasn't anything I couldn't ride on the course and aside from two wipeouts...one the front wheel slide out from under me in a turn, the other was fighting for a smooth line me and another guy went down (mostly my fault :blush2: ).

The bike definately beat me up given the roughness of the course, but there were sections where it was very fast. It also handled very well, especially through grassy turns and through the singletrack...nice, tight turns and handeling.

I spent almost the entire race in the drops, which is where I felt most comfortable.

Knowing that cyclocross courses will be much smoother, I'm really looking forward to cross season now, knowing what the bike can do.

BTW....I finished 2nd in the race about 6 bike lengths back from 1st. Had I not crashed twice (or just only crashed once) I would have won the race!

What was fun was listening to the crowd as I went by...I kept hearing...Go Cyclocross dude! And the announcers were making note of the fact that I was on a Cyclocross bike every time I went by the start/finish...That was fun :thumbsup:

Just thought I'd share my first race experience on the new bike.

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
Cool deal man.
I recently got a redline conquest and have been hitting all the XC trails we have in my area. I plan on racing the fall off road TT series around here on it too.... I hit 27.2 MPH on a flat open section of trail the other day. and on the climbs the bike is way lighter and faster than my FS XC bike.

·
Registered
584 Posts
wookie: Knowing that cyclocross courses will be much smoother, I'm really looking forward to cross season now, knowing what the bike can do.

I have a question about that. I am trying to get into cyclocross. There are no races in my area. To practice my wife and I are just riding in grass parks. The aluminum trek hybrid I rode was not too rough, but she road an all aluminum redline conquest sport and I tried it as well and it beat the heck out of me. I have 35mm maxxis locusts on it. I will lower the pressure, but I was still amazed at how rough it was. Are real cyclocross races on smoother surfaces that just random grass at any local park?
tia to whoever knows.

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
well.. depends on how good the grass is taken care of..... you may have been very unlucky and had a park that had not had the turf rolled for a decade.
seriously though, I think the smoothest you will get will be the grassy sections. I don't know what tire pressure you are running and how much you weight but I run my tires at 60psi and I weigh 195LB. you may want to invest in a more comfy saddle. Also I just moved my bars, I rotated them backward, about 1/4" and it made a HUGE difference in comfort as I was sitting just a bit more upright and took quite a bit of weight off of my wrists.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
jpelaston said:
well.. depends on how good the grass is taken care of..... you may have been very unlucky and had a park that had not had the turf rolled for a decade.
seriously though, I think the smoothest you will get will be the grassy sections. I don't know what tire pressure you are running and how much you weight but I run my tires at 60psi and I weigh 195LB. you may want to invest in a more comfy saddle. Also I just moved my bars, I rotated them backward, about 1/4" and it made a HUGE difference in comfort as I was sitting just a bit more upright and took quite a bit of weight off of my wrists.

not so sure about that... the smoothest sections i see in CX are the paved sections...
often some dirt trail that is pretty darn smooth as well. Grass varies. Some is hard and consistant, and some feels like it will shake your fillings loose.

beg to differ on the suggestion of 60psi for CX. You'll find that well above what is ideal. Sure, you being 195lb will require a bit more pressure but not that much. I don't know i've ever heard of someone running that high. The most i've ever run was 40psi and i regreted it. Tires were washing out all the time. Great on pavement but that was it. I'll go as low as 20 up front and 25 in the rear. If you're using tubulars you can hit the lower end otherwise you're more likely to get pinch flats. Another factor on pressure is the tire width. the 20 and 25 above were on a 32mm Mud 2 clinchers on a very soft course. If you don't bottom out your rim a few times each lap you're running too hard.

mess with your pressures a lot, try it and see. low is your friend.

·
raging results nerd
925 Posts
vanjr said:
wookie: Knowing that cyclocross courses will be much smoother, I'm really looking forward to cross season now, knowing what the bike can do.

I have a question about that. I am trying to get into cyclocross. There are no races in my area. To practice my wife and I are just riding in grass parks. The aluminum trek hybrid I rode was not too rough, but she road an all aluminum redline conquest sport and I tried it as well and it beat the heck out of me. I have 35mm maxxis locusts on it. I will lower the pressure, but I was still amazed at how rough it was. Are real cyclocross races on smoother surfaces that just random grass at any local park?
tia to whoever knows.
once you run hundreds of racers and thousands of laps on the grass it packs down a bit, imo. but really there's just a wide variation in grass/ground quality out there, some places seen to have grass that packs up in tufts and is super rough, others are a bit nicer.

cross racing gets you out of the saddle a lot, which helps.
your legs and lungs will hurt a lot more than your butt/hands, which "helps."
i'm 145 and i run 40psi or less on clinchers -- lower pressure helps.

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
I'll admit, I am new. The tires on my bike (Maxxis Raze) have recommended PSi of 50-75 PSI so I just went somewhere in the middle. While riding on the local MTb trails yesterday, I only had problems with traction on some greasy uphills. I also pushed the front tire through a turn that was dusty/ marbley.
I will try lowering it more. Like I said, Im a newb, thanks for the tips and I'm sure through some trial and error I will have things dialed in time for CX season.

I also agree about the paved sections. I didn't mention it as it seemed rather obvious. As far as the grass sections that was what I meant about having the turf rolled regularly. If it is rolled it is decent if not, you get beaten.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
gobes said:
The bumpiest courses I've ridden have been on grass. These are the types of bumps that make you want to quit riding all together.
Watching videos of the cobbled classics can give you inspiration for how to ride those sections. But in truth there's no substitute for strong legs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.