Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First race ever this weekend. Assume by the time I hit the feed zone I will need additional water to finish the race. I am attending by myself and am not part of a team. My question is will water be provided by volunteers for anyone who wants it or will I need to stop and get my own before I continue. Thanks.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
megmarc said:
First race ever this weekend. Assume by the time I hit the feed zone I will need additional water to finish the race. I am attending by myself and am not part of a team. My question is will water be provided by volunteers for anyone who wants it or will I need to stop and get my own before I continue. Thanks.
How long is the race? I'm 99% sure that you don't need, or want, to use a feed zone in your first race. Unless it is 45+ miles, two bottles should be fine.

Silas

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Like Silas wrote - chances are that you WON'T NEED a feed zone.

If you're a cat 2 and up, then yes, that's a concern. If you're a cat 5, or cat 4 forgettaboutit. If you're a cat 3, maybe.

Worry about a feed zone when the race is over 2 hours (or 50-60 miles) long.

You're asking on a fourm, therefore it's a 99.9% chance that you're a cat 5, so don't worry about it :D

SilasCL said:
How long is the race? I'm 99% sure that you don't need, or want, to use a feed zone in your first race. Unless it is 45+ miles, two bottles should be fine.

Silas

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cat 5 44 miles

Thanks. Sorry I guess I should have given you a little more info. Yes, I am Cat 5 and the race is 44 miles. Normally two bottle would be fine for me for 44 miles but this is much more hilly that I am used to, so I am concerned about running out of water.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Fair enough, but as long as you take 2 750ml bottles you should be fine.

44 miles, even for cat 5's,. will be done in about 2 hours. 1 500ml bottle / hour is a good standard, so take the big bottles and you'll have a 50% margin.

Best of luck on your first race! Hope you get addicted.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
what argy said, except maybe 1 750 cl and one 500cl bottle.

regardelss, you won't need a feed

Argentius said:
Fair enough, but as long as you take 2 750ml bottles you should be fine.

44 miles, even for cat 5's,. will be done in about 2 hours. 1 500ml bottle / hour is a good standard, so take the big bottles and you'll have a 50% margin.

Best of luck on your first race! Hope you get addicted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here's my advice about feed zones - get to the front when going through them. Nothing but bad things will happen. If they are on an uphill, well, there will be attacks because a hill is one of the best places to attack and how many other opportunities will there be in a race? Second, if the feed zone is on a flat area, water bottles will be dancing across the road and riders will be swerving into each to avoid them because people are trying to grab them at 30 mph. It's mass hysteria and you don't want to be at the back behind it.

Feed zones are not needed below cat 2 - the only exception would be a hot and humid day for the time of year. As a diabetic, I always bring more than I need and if the other riders don't, then they are not prepared to race. Just like I would be if I let my sugar levels drop in a race. I've heard some people say it is not sportsmanlike to attack in a feedzone - ok, I'll wait till we are 10 feet out of it and then launch. Look for it in the race, someone will and you will be ready for it.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Find out which side of the road the feed will be on before the race. So if you're in the pack and forgot or can't get to the front, you can at least get on the other side of the road and miss the mess, if there is any.

Good luck, and turn yourself inside out to stay in the group. Many first time racers are suprised at how hard it is and give up when they still have something left.

·
Registered
139 Posts
last sunday I did a 76 mile cat 3 race and was fine with 3 bottles...2 on bike, 1 in jersey pocket. 44 miles....2 is plenty.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Feed Zone ? In a Cat 5, 44 mile race? I've never seen a race with neutral feed zones. Unless it's 100 degrees out, you won't need more than two bottles. Drink 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle 15 minutes before the start, and carry two with you.
Have you ever done a bottle exchange at 20 mph? Unless you, and your hand up person really know what you are doing, you will drop 50% of the bottle that are given to you.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
There's this stage race in the NW that I'm planning to do over the summer. One of the highlights is that all the categories do the same final stage, full distance -- it's not a loop.

The final stage has TWO neutral feed zones -- one with drinks only, one with drink and food.

In august, in a desert-ish area, 102 miles.

Heh. Apart from THAT...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts