Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First race this year - and I had forgotten how tough racing was.. :mad2: (I have about 6 cat 5 races under my belt)

10-20 mph winds. upper 60's?.. peloton was stringing out 2 file, even 1 file. (Damn why are they pulling so hard up front?? hehe) very different than last year when it stayed 4-5 wide the whole time till the end..

Was at the back most of the time - coming out of the corners wasn't too touch - no major sprint to get back on, I do feel good that I at least noticed some guys riding on the edge and starting to crack - so I quickly got around them (and knew I left other guys behind) and moved up to rear of the pack again.. Road up to the front once (followed some guy in a group ride) and realized it was just as hard there as it was in the back.... ended up getting off the front and caught back onto the rear to try to recoup...

Its probably obvious my heart rate heart rate was too high the whole time.. UGH.. Tried to recover at mile 3.. got it down to 175.. Mile 6.7 got behind some dude at the end of the pack and he was blown and I started to realize I was too (I'm only HALF WAY THERE??! :mad2: WTF.. haha ) .. so I didn't even try to catch back up. getting caught out in the wind solo sucks.

Did I mention the wind was really nasty. Straight at ya and coming from across. At least it was in our backs on the little hill. No crash this year. Everyone held their line in the corners from what I could tell.

I had only seen 193 max before this year once.. .. I hit 195 several times.. ugh.

I need to somehow get some sort of recovery in my ride.. I realize I can't run a race for 40 minutes at 180+HR... Wasn't getting much wind blockage on most of the course.
I think about 15-18 guys dropped off before me.

Maybe I need to start working at a higher HR in the group rides... I thought I was giving it all before at them.. I don't know. :mad2:

·
EuroCrash
485 Posts
Good job, though I think you should just ride/train more instead of trying to recover more during the race as it might never happen. What if the ones making it hard on you are actually recovering at a pace where you're not?

That said, windy conditions, especially crosswinds, tends to make it hard on the people not wanting/used to sticking the nose into the wind and strong riders will use this to shatter the fields.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BenWA said:
How much/what kind of training have you been doing up until this race?

several 90+ mile rides (mostly flat) back in march 11/april 1,15, , .. commuting since feb-now mostly 4 days a week unless I need a day off to recoup for weekend rides.. (20 miles round trip on hardtail)

club rides tues/thursday 25 miles.. (april 4x, may 7x) I try to hold on and keep working if i get dropped. this is in addition to my commuting miles.

3 mountain rides in may (including mountains of misery).. may 6 (80mile), may 20(72 mile) may 28 (102 mile)..

So about 1200 commuting miles this year, and 1400 miles on the road bike.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
52-16SS said:
Good job, though I think you should just ride/train more instead of trying to recover more during the race as it might never happen. What if the ones making it hard on you are actually recovering at a pace where you're not?

That said, windy conditions, especially crosswinds, tends to make it hard on the people not wanting/used to sticking the nose into the wind and strong riders will use this to shatter the fields.

Might never happen?? :eek: hehe :(

If they are recovering - I need to learn how to also.. that is part of the problem. I guess riding at the back there is still less time to recover.. oh well.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
A few thoughts here. Number one, fitness = recovery speed. The fitter you are, the quicker you will recover after a hard effort, and faster your recovery pace will be. Simple enough. How hard and structured are your training rides throughout a given week? Are you doing interval training of a specific interval duration? Or are you doing long steady sort of hard rides? Are you doing easy recovery rides between hard rides? Your recovery days may need to be easier than you are doing now and your workout rides may need to be harder. You need to go slow on the slow days so that you can go faster on the fast days.

Besides fitness, there are also obvious strategic factors. You say that you hang on the back of the group. Why do you do this? It's a dangerous place to be. When the pace slackens, you should take advantage of the opportunity to move up towards the front 1/3. At your level, avoid moving up when the pace of the pack is brisk. You would generally be wasting energy unnecessarily by doing so.

How much are you taking care to stay hidden from the wind? Do you find yourself hanging off the side taking the full brunt of the airstream often? Every little bit that you are able to hide from the wind will help. It all adds up by the end of a race. You'll get better at this with experience.

Finally, others may disagree, but I would ditch the HRM on your races as a Cat 5. Learn to listen to your body to tell you where you are on the effort scale. Using RPE alone, I have learned to pinpoint my LT precisely. You should do the same.

·
Registered
467 Posts
BenWA said:
Finally, others may disagree, but I would ditch the HRM on your races as a Cat 5. Learn to listen to your body to tell you where you are on the effort scale. Using RPE alone, I have learned to pinpoint my LT precisely. You should do the same.
Not that everything else you just said wasn't sound,but this is a solid piece of advice.

I see no reason at all for someone racing cat4/5(myself included)to wear a HRM.All that matters is that you stay on the guys wheels that aren't getting dropped.Looking down and seeing a number that discourages you will not help you do that.

I did the first RR in the state in the middle of Feb this year.I had just come off of base miles and had just a few weeks of doing mild intervals in my legs.I felt "fresh" but not "strong".I carried my HRM in my jersey pocket so at the end of the race I could see what my average was just out of curiousity.

The course had lots of rolling hills and was hot.The pace was high for the course(just under 25mph average for 37 miles)Long story short my average HR was 180!!My max is 201.I know for a fact had had it on my wrist I would have cracked after seeing the #'s so high.

I ended up being able to pass lots of people on the final climb before the sprint and bridge across solo to the lead group and finish 10th after getting stuck in the back the entire race.I have to say,I would have rather had this be the outcome than crack.

Take the HRM off.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quicksilver

Sad too see that the Quicksilver race went so bad for you. I didn't sign up for it fast enough and wasn't able to go but had the same problem at the Baker Park Criterium in Frederick, Maryland.

Ironically enough, I am joining the Potomac Pedalers riders of 20-25 miles on tuesday and thursday's as well with an Evo rider that pursuaded us to join. I was there on thursday in my (JMU) James Madison University gear.

I find in my 15 mile criteriums which I have only 7 races under my belt in that I feel great for about 5-8 miles then I start to quickly degrade then level off to a pace where I get stuck in a second peloton that eventually gets pulled off by mile 11-12. I do make the mistake of trying to force my way into the top 1/3 of the group by going off to the side in the wind during the faster sections of the ride and hurting myself later. Of course, I already know my endurance level is low and it needs a lot of work. Funny enough I have gone up to 40 miles on my mountain bike and 55 on my road bike. The road bike for some reason just seems so much harder. Maybe I just like being in the woods???

I am hoping by Sept 3rd, I will have enough energy to complete the Shenandoah Mountain 100. the time doesn't matter just as long as it is fun. I may not have the optimal endurance but I have ridden every inch of the course being a JMU student very close to the terrain and I never give up no matter what the problem.

I believe you should just stick it out and plug in the training steadily and the improvements will come. However, I wish they would come a little faster. LOL :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wakefield Park ride tues/thurs? I go there. See you there. (I didn't go thursday). Wanted to rest up.:thumbsup:

See you there. I always try to break away and keep away on Queensbury (all the way back to braddock).. that usually toasts me for the hills afterwards. :mad2:

Legend911 said:
Ironically enough, I am joining the Potomac Pedalers riders of 20-25 miles on tuesday and thursday's as well with an Evo rider that pursuaded us to join. I was there on thursday in my (JMU) James Madison University gear.

I
I believe you should just stick it out and plug in the training steadily and the improvements will come. However, I wish they would come a little faster. LOL :thumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wakefield Park Training Rides

Yes, Wakefield Park!

I just started going there on thursday. I am going to sign up for wednesday at wakefield MTB series starting June 21st so I can get some MTB in before the SM100 in september. Hope to see you on tuesday. i will be wearing my Evolution Cycling Club jersey. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Legend911 said:
Yes, Wakefield Park!

I just started going there on thursday. I am going to sign up for wednesday at wakefield MTB series starting June 21st so I can get some MTB in before the SM100 in september. Hope to see you on tuesday. i will be wearing my Evolution Cycling Club jersey. :thumbsup:

Legend911 - I won't be there tonight.. Heading to the NIN concert in Manassas.

There is a Race in Richmond Saturday.. I'm thinking about it..it wasn't full yet. 11 am start time sounds heavenly!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Totally agree on ditching the HRM. I know from experience that you will just focus on it, and it will discourage you. Besides, in a mass start event, your HR is totally irrelevant during the race. You're either keeping up with the pack, or you're not.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seven3 said:
Totally agree on ditching the HRM. I know from experience that you will just focus on it, and it will discourage you. Besides, in a mass start event, your HR is totally irrelevant during the race. You're either keeping up with the pack, or you're not.
Nah, it didn't discourage me.. I didn't even have much time to pay attention to it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hrm

Yeah, I don't wear my HRM during races either. I just like to make sure I am working hard when alone or during a set workout. Looking at results is cool too over time. :idea:

·
Registered
51 Posts
bas said:
who are you on tues/thurs?
i've only been coming for like 3 weeks or so now. Sometimes I have a white helmet, others its a pink helmet. Battleship Blue Specialized with a black 105 kit, 1rst Generation Ksyriums...oh and I always wear sugoi shorts, but the tops always change. Oh yeah, gold volvo wagon w/ dc plates.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bikeuphill9 said:
What time does the ride at Wakefield start? I am going to be near there today and would like to jump in. Thanks.
Same time as always..

Supposed to be around 6:10, but always seems to be 6:15.

Really have to start pushing earlier in the fall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.