Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the plunge and entered and finished my first road race today. It was an amazing experience. Painful, challenging and fun all at the same time. My legs are super sore and I'm sure that I'll feel it tomorrow.

What's interesting is that my left side sit bone is sore. For all you fit experts, any ideas as to why? Nothing new with my bike or equipment, and it's never been a problem before. The only thing that I can think of is that when I was washing my bike today, I removed my seat post; maybe I didn't put it in the exact spot? If it is off, it's would only be 1mm maybe.

Not sure what it is.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Took the plunge and entered and finished my first road race today. It was an amazing experience. Painful, challenging and fun all at the same time. My legs are super sore and I'm sure that I'll feel it tomorrow.

What's interesting is that my left side sit bone is sore. For all you fit experts, any ideas as to why? Nothing new with my bike or equipment, and it's never been a problem before. The only thing that I can think of is that when I was washing my bike today, I removed my seat post; maybe I didn't put it in the exact spot? If it is off, it's would only be 1mm maybe.

Not sure what it is.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
How did you mark or measure your seat post? A mm or 2 make a difference, at least for me. I did my first race today too! A mtb race though... My a*s is killing... I've done th distance and more a few times. Not sure what's up with that, but everyone in the after race said the same thing? Congrats on your first race!!!!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Could be you shifting around a bit to put out as much power as possible. I've always got weird niggles after the first few hard rides of a year because I'm all over the bike trying to drop max watts and I haven't been doing that for a while. Goes away pretty quickly.

I would think you'd feel thigh rub on one side if your saddle isn't pointed forward as normal. I can notice immediately if my seat as moved to the left or right because one side or the other will be brushing the nose of the saddle.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I remember the same thing happening to me in the nineties for my very first beginner class race. Absolutely nothing had changed on my bike. For me, I attributed it to extra adrenaline and nervousness. Trying to put out as much power as possible (as pedalbiker noted above), and as a result, having pretty lousy form.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I have a rear light mount on post that I use to measure from. Haha maybe it was the pucker factor too. I was pushing hard to stay near the front. Had a ton of PR's too. I'll drop the post a mm or two and see what happens.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks all. I have a rear light mount on post that I use to measure from. Haha maybe it was the pucker factor too. I was pushing hard to stay near the front. Had a ton of PR's too. I'll drop the post a mm or two and see what happens.
I have a hard time seeing that 1mm height difference would cause it, 1 cm sure but not a mm. but what could cause it is 1mm of saddle twist. If a seatpost is installed with the nose to left of the bike more than before then its going to put more pressure on the right side of your butt because the tail of the saddle is now more on the right side of the bike. check that first, its happened to me before and I had a similar issue. would cause it

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
What sort of pain is it? Some pain there, such as piriformis syndrome, aren't caused by saddle position.

I use a wrap of tape to mark the seat post. Stole the idea from pros.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Like some others, I vote for you sitting in a slightly abnormal position dt stress and trying really hard to produce power. I do the same early in the race season.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
C'mon now..
I've had very small adjustments to seat height have big effects... It's to my knees, not my sit bones though. Adjustments as little as 2mm.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Usually speaking the higher the cadence the higher the pressure on the saddle/sit bones. So pushing harder on the pedals would actually relieve saddle pressure some, adding it to the bottom bracket. Was your cadence higher than normal?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Usually speaking the higher the cadence the higher the pressure on the saddle/sit bones. So pushing harder on the pedals would actually relieve saddle pressure some, adding it to the bottom bracket. Was your cadence higher than normal?

I averaged 83 for my cadence which is about normal. I'll have to check the seat alignment but it looked good before the race started. I will say that my calves are sore as hell today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.