Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have decided to try my first race in less than two weeks. As long as I don't crash or cause anyone else to crash it should be fine. The Tour of Walla Walla is actually a stage race, but as a Cat 5 it's considered an omnium. It's my goal to finish with the pack in the road race, so we'll see what happens. Any last-minute suggestions? I've been training, and getting faster, as well as riding in groups. Living out in Eastern Oregon means that there are a lack of teams and organized club rides, but it seems to be gaining popularity. As far as the scenery goes, doesn't get much better. A local site which has attracted some attention is found at www.lagranderide.com. Gives some nice local rides. Anyways, this is my first post so don't criticise too harshly...

·
Registered
635 Posts
I did my first race(s) last weekend. In response to your post, if you do crash or cause someone to crash, don't think its the end. Apologize, but keep on going. It happens, crashes happen. sometimes they aren't your fault, sometimes they are. Try your best not to cause one, but hey, they happen. (obviously if you cause one and someone gets seriously injured thats a different story)

Here's some of the more usefull advice I recieved before it from this board, teammates, and friends, hope this helps.
1 a. Turn yourself inside out to stay with the pack - Just do it, give everything you have to stay on the pack. You will be amazed if you get dropped (hopefully not) how much harder it is to ride, let alone form a chase group and catch up. If you do get dropped, sit up, get some water, grab a wheel, and get in a paceline to start catching up.
1 b. Be prepared for unexpexted slow downs, followed by sprints. At lower level's this seams to happen (at least my mens D collegiate race) every now and then as someone in front gets tired, they slow, so everyone slows, and then someone else takes over and the pace gets sprinted up again. If things stat to slow, shift down, and be ready to take off.
2. Make sure you warm up - bring a trainer, warm up so you are lightly sweating when you leave for the start. Make sure you stay hyrdated on the trainer. Some people use this time to grab a clif bar or something as well
3. Bring a clif shot (or energy gel of your choice) - its nice to have that little extra something for the big hill or whatever, stick it on your thigh (between short and leg), not in your back. a. its easier to get b. your back pockets may be pinned over with numbers and such.
4. Relax at the start, but be ready to go, and I mean, go.....fast.
5. Enjoy it, and Good luck.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Some more suggestions..

Revise your attitude some..Going out on your first race with a goal of "just wanting to finish.." Not a good attitude..a realistic assesment of your chances, perhaps, but I think you'll have better results if you try ' winning'...after all, it is a race and that is why you are there. A training ride is where staying with the group is the goal....You'd be best served to do everthing you can, over the whole length of each race, to work for the win. Keep sharply focused .
Many "also-raced" riders get 'lost' in the mid-race, mid-pack mind-set. A few miles out, it is easy to think.."cool, I really can do this, this isn't so bad.." and then you kinda lose focus...I've done it myself...and missed a break, or got gapped through my inattention, or because I was focused on keeping on a wheel then looked up to see the leaders had jumped. Falling asleep in mid-pack just means you have to waste energy catching back, energy you should use more intellegently on your goal, not energy you have "extra" to squander on "napping" A rookie mistake and easy to avoid by staying focused, staying awake!...
Racing is very very different from training or club fun rides..Sure, the same moves, same sort of egos, etc. but you should keep the final goal (first across the finish line) in mind for the whole length of the race. It takes concentration, and lots of it to get good results...more intense concentration than most rookie race riders ever even imagine. Watch everything, keep alert, see who is doing what, who's strong where, who is helping who, make plans, adapt your plan to conditions, think think think...Also, effort...Be prepared to ride harder than you may ever have ridden..No re-group pauses in a race....
Oh, and don't "go off the front" in your first race...common rookie mistake..(don't ask me how I know)
Have fun with it. Racing is a strategy game as well as just an exercise in conditioning and trying to be the strongest rider..Keep track of your mistakes as you gain experience and improve your strategy for the next race..the strongest don't necessarily win every race..
Don Hanson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts