Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 06 Centaur shifters (non-QS) that I think need a re-build. There's one upshift click that doesn't work...like from the 14 to the 15. It just skips the click and goes all the way up two clicks instead. Sound common?

So...since this is my first re-build, what do I need to replace? Just the springs or the carrier too? Anything else? FWIW, i don't think i have any more than 6000 miles or so on these shifters. They're about 3 years old, NOS, but I don't ride this bike as much as others. Is this a fairly standard interval for rebuilding? Seems like it's sooner than I've heard for most.

Thanks.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
turbomatic73 said:
I have a set of 06 Centaur shifters (non-QS) that I think need a re-build. There's one upshift click that doesn't work...like from the 14 to the 15. It just skips the click and goes all the way up two clicks instead. Sound common?

So...since this is my first re-build, what do I need to replace? Just the springs or the carrier too? Anything else? FWIW, i don't think i have any more than 6000 miles or so on these shifters. They're about 3 years old, NOS, but I don't ride this bike as much as others. Is this a fairly standard interval for rebuilding? Seems like it's sooner than I've heard for most.

Thanks.
That's an odd indication. Usually it just gets sloppy all the way around. Typically you can just change the G-springs and restore the shifting. Your problem sounds like it might be in the index gear which will add some cost to the repair. I have rebuilt three sets now and each time I have found the spring carrier broken or cracked so imo, you should have one available. A broken spring carrier isn't a huge deal since the construction of the lever holds the broken pieces together, but you have to take it out anyway so you might as well put a new one back in.

As far as time to rebuild, the mileage is only one parameter. How often you shift determines how quickly you wear out the springs. The springs don't lose their "spring", the part of the spring that rides on the index gear wears flat so it doesn't snap between indents on the index gear. More shifts equals more wear.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Your girlfriend and a sheet...

Get yourself a good set of instructions as there are some steps that require you to wind up and unwind some springs at various steps.

It is a good idea to put a sheet down or have a work surface where you can find little parts if they fall as opposed to looking for them in carpet or taking apart your garage floor drain to find them.

A third hand is helpful for holding parts in place during reassembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.