Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's still snow on the ground but I had to test out my new baby and have my first fixed gear experience. I'm hooked (I knew I'd love it)!!!! What an amazing ride - a very different experience. 48 x 16 is perfect for my no hill situation. Very nimble, very fast and the bike really does feel like an extension of your body.

It sure makes you remember in a hurry if you ever try to coast - I reached for my phone and nearly went over the bars! It's like being kicked off a horse - like the bike says "if you stop those legs of yours I'm kicking you off!"

Welcome me to the club!!

·
Done
4,589 Posts
Dude -- Once you go fixed, you NEVER go back...

Okay, that's a bit of an overstatement, but it sure is fun! Heck, it looks like we even have Mr. Sloan hooked...

48 x 16 is a pretty good set up. A tad steep for big climbs, but just about perfect for rolling terrain if you "surf" it by hauling ass on the backside of the hills. I put a 50 x 16 to do a very flat century (the Seagull Century in Delaware) last November and have never taken it off. It's fine for around here in DC, but it's gonna have to come off this spring to do MB1's Spring Fixie Fandango. He promises a climbing option, and I'd have to hide in shame if I didn't attempt it.

And, yes, a fixie will try to kill you if you fail to give it all of your attention, especially for the first few rides. They especially hate phones. Turn the phone off. Just ride.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Reaching down for a H2O bottle can be a bit hairy, too, if you forget......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Macho Man Savage said:
There's still snow on the ground but I had to test out my new baby and have my first fixed gear experience. I'm hooked (I knew I'd love it)!!!! What an amazing ride - a very different experience. 48 x 16 is perfect for my no hill situation. Very nimble, very fast and the bike really does feel like an extension of your body.

It sure makes you remember in a hurry if you ever try to coast - I reached for my phone and nearly went over the bars! It's like being kicked off a horse - like the bike says "if you stop those legs of yours I'm kicking you off!"

Welcome me to the club!!
Well done mate! There's no going back. I've had a good weekend on mine and haven't touched a geared bike for about six weeks. Our area is quite hilly and I ride 49x18 and try to plan my route carefully but I do get into trouble sometimes. All part of the fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.