Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
pi makes wheels go round
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was my first day at work at the new job, but today was the first ride. I started in the farm town of Salinas, CA, and rode to Monterey, CA (about 20 miles). I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
wow

damon said:
Yesterday was my first day at work at the new job, but today was the first ride. I started in the farm town of Salinas, CA, and rode to Monterey, CA (about 20 miles). I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

If I lived here, I would never drive. Gorgeous commute.

·
pi makes wheels go round
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KWillets said:
Do those ergo levers clack when you hit a bump? I once tried STI's on moustache bars and they did.
Thanks for all the replies everyone... what with the new job and the new living situation, i haven't been on this forum as much as i would have liked. The ergos do not make any noise, but the bars aren't true mustache bars. They are kind of inbetween regular drop bars and mustache bars. I really like them, but mostly because the big brake lever doesn't swing in/down and it feels more secure.

Regarding the commute - i'm still figuring it out. I'm taking the bus to cut off about 10 of the 20 miles in the morning, but am trying to ride home the whole way (tail wind!). However, i'm getting ready for a ride this afternoon that should show me a little bit how to connect some dirt trails on the way to work, so that should be pretty cool if i can get that figured out. Singletrack then and ocean view sounds like a sweet commute! That's when the Bianchi RC will really shine!

-Damon

·
pi makes wheels go round
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vanjr said:
So you have front disc brakes only? Is that a touring bike or cyclocross or other?
Is that common for commuters? (I am ignorant)

tia
It is a cyclocross bike. There are very few differences between touring and cyclocross bikes, though. It does have a front disk brake because i bent the original fork doing something stupid. I ended up using a spare disk caliper i had and asked the fork builder to accommodate disk brake tabs.

I think disk brakes are kind of common for very new commuter bikes, but most do not have any disk brakes at all. Definitely not necessary, IMO. Others will disagree, i am sure.

-Damon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Disagree! That's ridiculous!

damon said:
I think disk brakes are kind of common for very new commuter bikes...Definitely not necessary, IMO. Others will disagree, i am sure.

-Damon
Actually, whatever! Did you forget your fenders up North? It does rain in California on occasion, you know. I think I've ridden that bike path along the beach on few occasions travelling from San Jose to San Luis Obispo - hella windy, right? Good luck on your new commute.

·
pi makes wheels go round
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jsbx said:
Actually, whatever! Did you forget your fenders up North? It does rain in California on occasion, you know. I think I've ridden that bike path along the beach on few occasions travelling from San Jose to San Luis Obispo - hella windy, right? Good luck on your new commute.
Thanks... i am getting it kind of figured out, except that i haven't taken the time to learn how to link up a somewhat complicated dirt/singletrack section in the commute. I've been taking the bus in 1/2 way in the morning because a) that part of the road kind of sucks, and b) there always seems to be a decent head wind. That just leaves me with 10 miles by the ocean, and yes... the headwind.

Fortunately, the winds stay the same direction, so i ride all 20+ miles home at a nice clip.

It has been fun, but it just seems weird to be riding by the ocean. The old Vancouver commute felt more natural, for some reason...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.