Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· W'buV Peddler...
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been mostly commuting in my road biking thusfar only 5 miles each way. Today I set out on a ride and I wasnt sure how far I would go. I only went 16 miles but I really feel like I could have done more. It took me an hour to do the 16...I dont know if thats good or not. I am tired of riding alone. I am going to try to do a group ride this coming week. How long is a decent ride for you guys?

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Good for you. 16 mi. is a nice ride. A decent ride for me can be anything from a mile to 100+ miles. How much do you know about the group with which you'll be riding? How far/fast do they go. If you can, you might want to ask if their rides are "no drop" rides. That means nobody gets left alone on their own. I'd also encourage you to do a search on these forums about riding in groups, group ride etiquette, pace lines, etc. When you show up for the group ride don't be afraid to ask questions. Tell them you're a newbie to group rides and they'll likely pair you up with someone knowledgeable who'll show you the ropes. Most important of all...have fun.

· Registered
80 Posts
I'm still a newb, got my bike last July. I will do 11-17 miles after a full day at work, and 20-30 on a day off.

The group rides around me usually list the distance and average speed the ride will be. There is a local club that does something like a 50 mile ride averaging I think they said 25mph.

I personally would contact someone before showing up at a group ride.

I did the Diabetes ride last year in Reston VA. That was awesome, you were pretty much in a group, you could go at your own pace and I raised some money.

· W'buV Peddler...
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds good, the group ride that I was invited to do is a no drop group and I think they do about 20 miles. They have been trying to get others involved in it so I would think they arnt too strict on their cadence and avg speed. I dont want to hold anyone up from a good workout though. It is through my LBS and I have heard that some of the riders are on MTB's as well as road bikes. That one may be a good ride to start with. Lumber825 you are in the Reston area? I am in the Eastern Panhandle of WV.

· Vintage cyclist
1,005 Posts
If you get in with a bunch of racers, then they'll drop you in nothing flat. Look for a more social group that has riders of all levels. If you live in a larger metropolitan area, then that'll be easy to find. Ask you local LBS, too.

· Registered
1,652 Posts
I have worked my way up from 10 miles to now I have to ride 40 on weekends. As opposed to group rides, I find it fun to ride in locations where there are a lot of riders. We have a trail in the DC area where Reston to Purceville and back is a standard 52 miles for many riders. I will do groups, but am getting pesnickity about my time; it's easier to get up at 0'dark thirty on weekends and get the ride in while it's cooler outside.

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
If you are just starting out, 16mph is pretty good, so don't feel bad when people tell you they go 20+. I only do speeds like that for short distances solo, and on group rides where I can suck on someone's wheel.
Just keep up at it and you'll be doing much longer. For me, the hardest part was breaking the 2 hour barrier, because my body wasn't used to working out for the time. Just make sure you keep eating on long rides so you don't bonk like I did on my first 40 mile ride.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
The beginners in my club struggle to maintain 17 mph averages. You are doing very well. Don't forget that you can ride a little faster in a group because of resting at the back of the pack. Sounds like you are doing well, just increase the miles now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.