Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since no one is posting here, I thought I might get this one in.
First ride of the year! I have been watching the days from the office window looking forward to this moment. What a great way to start my weekend indeed! The streets of Montreal have been clean all week & the sun was out too melting clear the roads. Can't speak for the mountains of snow on peoples lawns & stuff, but great riding on the CX bike. It was certainly great to be back on 2 wheels on beautiful balmy +2c or +35f (for my US neighbors).
Though, I must admit that I have lost some of my cycling strength from being off the bike all winter. Though I do train at the gym, squats, bench, & all the other good stuff, I could never ride those exercise bikes, if there was a real good argument for male impotence, then those bikes are IT (for me at least)! I even tried riding those things with cycling shorts & still, a very numb feeling down there. Tried 3 times on 3 seperate bikes, same results. Never again. So, I shall concentrate on regaining form & distance on my beloved bike.
I do need some work on my rig, which I hope to have completed by next Friday. Following Monday, regular commuting to work begins once again! My poor little car will have to wait patiently for me in the driveway once again.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
arctic hawk said:
The streets of Montreal

Where do you ride IN Montreal? It seems a very bike unfriendly city to me - crazy drivers and broken streets are everywhere.

I visit my son there (Outremont) every year and he's packed in riding since he moved there. We rode the dirt path to the top of Mt. Royal once which was a nice gentle steady climb.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike T. said:
Where do you ride IN Montreal? It seems a very bike unfriendly city to me - crazy drivers and broken streets are everywhere.

I visit my son there (Outremont) every year and he's packed in riding since he moved there. We rode the dirt path to the top of Mt. Royal once which was a nice gentle steady climb.
Actually, I ride on the streets & I used to live in Outremont, Hutchinson & Lajoie, if you are really familiar with the area. Or near Bernard & Parc, great coffee shops along Bernard now & supoer place to stop for one too!. From where I live now in Ville St.Laurent, I head straight for TMR to Jean Talon & then to Cote Des Neiges. I begin my assualt of Mt.Royal from there to the top or to downtown. Or through TMR & into Outremont via the Rockland Bridge & then toward St.Urbain (pass by the LBS ABC & Gervais Rioux) & then downtown.
Once in Old Montreal, there is a huge cycling path which follows the river & into Lachine. There are many people on the various path in summer, & quite the number of lovely looking ladies (eye-candy, sigh) as well. Makes for a good morning/afternoon ride.
I love cycling here in the city & my weapon of choice is my CX bike.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
arctic hawk said:
Actually, I ride on the streets & I used to live in Outremont, Hutchinson & Lajoie, if you are really familiar with the area. Or near Bernard & Parc, great coffee shops along Bernard now & supoer place to stop for one too!.

Ah yes! He's at the corner of Rockland & VanHorne. You're over near the St. Viateur bagel shop. I eat one every day for breakfast as a few dozen make it to my place in Ont 3x per year. Mmmmmm.

From where I live now in Ville St.Laurent, I head straight for TMR to Jean Talon & then to Cote Des Neiges. I begin my assualt of Mt.Royal from there to the top or to downtown. Or through TMR & into Outremont via the Rockland Bridge & then toward St.Urbain (pass by the LBS ABC & Gervais Rioux) & then downtown.

Ahhh you like traffic! I was in Gervais' shop last October and finally bought an Argon18, but not direct. I got it in Hamilton Ont. We were in the other bike shop (I forget it's name) near McEchran/VanHorne. In fact my son's girl friend's father owns the building.

Once in Old Montreal, there is a huge cycling path which follows the river & into Lachine. There are many people on the various path in summer, & quite the number of lovely looking ladies (eye-candy, sigh) as well. Makes for a good morning/afternoon ride.
I love cycling here in the city & my weapon of choice is my CX bike.

Hmmm sounds like we're going to have to check that one out. Of course it's always October when we're there so they will be all bundled up by then.

I'll forward your info onto him to see if it will encourage him to ride again. Thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike T. said:
Hmmm sounds like we're going to have to check that one out. Of course it's always October when we're there so they will be all bundled up by then.
I'll forward your info onto him to see if it will encourage him to ride again. Thanks.
Well from Outremont to Old Montreal, use St.Urbain to head south as Parc is a bit dangerous with that silly middle lane & St.Laurent to head back north. It's a great north/south transit route if you can maintain speed with traffic, you will be in Old Montreal in no time at all.
Overall, I am not the least disturbed by the cars on the road. Certain types of vehicules & driver combinations are more dangerous, European cars, SUV/4x4 (pickup trucks excluded), mini vans, & orientals in Honda's (I'm of chinese descent BTW so I am not a biggot or racist, just calling it as I see it, the truth hurts).
Oooohh! Argon18 rider. Good stuff! I am familar with Gervais Rioux as he is 1 of 2 bikes stores on the island who knows what a CX bike is. Glad you like the bagels as do many visitors to the city :)

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
arctic hawk said:
Well from Outremont to Old Montreal, use St.Urbain to head south as Parc is a bit dangerous with that silly middle lane & St.Laurent to head back north. It's a great north/south transit route if you can maintain speed with traffic, you will be in Old Montreal in no time at all.

Ok thanks, I'll check that out on the map.

Certain types of vehicules & driver combinations are more dangerous, European cars, SUV/4x4 (pickup trucks excluded), mini vans, & orientals in Honda's (I'm of chinese descent BTW so I am not a biggot or racist, just calling it as I see it, the truth hurts).
Heck there ain't much left when you take all those into account! I'm from a city of pickup trucks (not me, I'm an Acura driver!) and can't say I've ever seen a pickup in Montreal. I'll bet it's just landscapers that have them. Here they're as prolific as Audis in Montreal.

Oooohh! Argon18 rider. Good stuff! I am familar with Gervais Rioux as he is 1 of 2 bikes stores on the island who knows what a CX bike is. Glad you like the bagels as do many visitors to the city :)
Yeah it's a beaut. Gervais has been around top end bikes for many years. My son flew home with a suitcase full of St. Viateur bagels once and the airport security dude said "Bagels?" when he passed through the gate. Too funny. Every October we drive 7hrs home with the aroma in the car.

·
Registered
681 Posts
got in a nice 60km

On saturday. That was my first ride since New Years. It felt great... Temps were about 9deg. c. (positively tropical :). The roads were bone dry except for the odd stream of water from somebodies melting lawn.
I'm surprised at how good I felt. I guess with the gym work, hockey, swimming and little bit of roller work i managed hang on to a shred of fitness over the winter. Another thing I noticed is that the slr saddle i was ready to give up on actually felt ok out on the road. I guess the rollers exentuate every little bit of discomfort. I'll still have to see how it feels on a long ride with a more conditioned ass. Funny story... stopped to stretch at my usual spot by this park and saw about 20 people playing slowpitch on the field which was still covered in a layer of snow.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frith said:
On saturday. That was my first ride since New Years. It felt great... Temps were about 9deg. c. (positively tropical :). The roads were bone dry except for the odd stream of water from somebodies melting lawn.
I'm surprised at how good I felt. I guess with the gym work, hockey, swimming and little bit of roller work i managed hang on to a shred of fitness over the winter. Another thing I noticed is that the slr saddle i was ready to give up on actually felt ok out on the road. I guess the rollers exentuate every little bit of discomfort. I'll still have to see how it feels on a long ride with a more conditioned ass. Funny story... stopped to stretch at my usual spot by this park and saw about 20 people playing slowpitch on the field which was still covered in a layer of snow.
You did quite a lot better than I. I doodled around for about 1hr & it hurt. Seemed to have lost my riding legs altogether & must work for it once againduring the commuting season.. The joys of spring!
Speaking of slow pitch baseball, a fellow I play hockey with is itching to play softball. After all, the MLB players are reporting in for training camp in FL.

·
Registered
681 Posts
speaking of training camp

I vaguely remember that last year one of the clubs (it might have been out of st. catherines or hamilton can't remember) organized a training camp of sorts. It was an exchange between them (and anybody who wanted to particpate outside of that club) and a group from North Carolina. I believe the Canadians went down there and stayed at their houses sometime during march... and they did the same up here sometime in the summer. I think that's a great idea... Maybe one day we should organize an RBR exchange with some of our members to the south.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What tires are you using?

Spunout said:
I have fenders and fat tires on my CX bike, so I put in seven hours last week.This week is wetter in Ottawa, but I still plan to do my long rides outside.
Not any better in Montreal. What tires are you using? I am still running with Jets & before I ruin them for the CX season, I have been looking around but not sure what to get. You doing that Roubaix thing with OBC?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.