Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for a change of pace I took my new GT Cross Bike out for it's maiden voyage today. It was my first time on a cross bike (off road at least) and I must say...I was pleasantly surprised.

The bike did much better off road than expected. I basically went on a 26 mile fire road ride that had a lot of semi-rocky sections in it...and thanks to the really wet spring around here it was very, very muddy as well...so it was broken in correctly :D

In many ways the bike handled much as my MTB does, but was much more efficient. I ran the air pressure higher than what it sounds most do here (60 psi with 35c tires) and felt that it had quite a nice ride at those air pressures and with some of the rocky areas no pinch flats, so I'll probably stick with it for now.

The Panaracer tires held a line really well, cornered much better than expected, especially given the conditions and the brakes still worked very well even in all the mud.

The only thing I didn't like as much was the gearing. The front is geared a bit high for general XC usage...but other than that...it was fine.

My first experience with SRAM Rival is mixed...but not bad. I think I need to fine tune it, but once dialed in, I think it will work great.

Overall...very impressed with the cross bike and I can't wait to use it for Short Track XC and for the Cross season to get here...My wife however, having just cleaned the house and me coming in super muddy isn't :blush2:

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
In many ways the bike handled much as my MTB does, but was much more efficient. I ran the air pressure higher than what it sounds most do here (60 psi with 35c tires) and felt that it had quite a nice ride at those air pressures and with some of the rocky areas no pinch flats, so I'll probably stick with it for now.
Curious: How much do you weigh? 60 PSI is high but rider weight is a big factor. It might not matter if you are already satisfied with 60, but I find that lower is better (on dirt), so the lower you can go without worrying about flats the better.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
he's a Clydesdale

PeanutButterBreath said:
Curious: How much do you weigh? 60 PSI is high but rider weight is a big factor. It might not matter if you are already satisfied with 60, but I find that lower is better (on dirt), so the lower you can go without worrying about flats the better.
like me. At our weight running any lower than 55 is pinch-flat-athon, I used to run 60-65 on rough courses andstill flatted every once in awhile. Oh and at those pressures the tires grip like sh!t, so you don't pinch flat, but you slide.

just another reason I made the leap

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
As per the signature line on my posts...:D ...I'm low 190's for weight. I don't know that I'd venture much lower with the air pressure. To me it felt like a good balance between traction (of which I had plenty), ride quality and pinch flat resistance.

After today's ride, I just don't see a need to go any lower really....and I really don't want to worry about flats...I hate flats :mad2:

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FatTireFred said:
is that bike disc or rim brake?
Rim brake....Tektro canti brakes. Honestly, they surprised me by how much power they had in them even when covered with mud. I think I went through half the pads today, but they worked...and worked well :thumbsup:

When dry they are stong enough to do nose wheelies with, and when muddy provided solid stopping power....which is good enough for me.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
As for the tire pressure; I'm about the same weight as you and in no danger of going much less. I ride my clincher (backup) tires at about 40-45 with no issues. You could probably drop to 50 psi easily. You'll notice an even better ride/traction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.