Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, went down after the first ten miles, hit a wet spot during a turn and bang. Scrapped my helmet, bruised my shoulder, major league hip pointer with strawberry, cut my knee, and the back of my left hand. Good new is no damage to the frame although shifters, rear QR and pedal well scrapped. Got up, dusted off my pride and finished twenty more miles. Once home, I bathed in Neosporin. Man, as luck would have it, first crash in more than 12k miles. Anyway, the bike rode beautifully during the time I was atop and not beneath it!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Look at it this way...

mainframe said:
Yup, went down after the first ten miles, hit a wet spot during a turn and bang. Scrapped my helmet, bruised my shoulder, major league hip pointer with strawberry, cut my knee, and the back of my left hand. Good new is no damage to the frame although shifters, rear QR and pedal well scrapped. Got up, dusted off my pride and finished twenty more miles. Once home, I bathed in Neosporin. Man, as luck would have it, first crash in more than 12k miles. Anyway, the bike rode beautifully during the time I was atop and not beneath it!
That really sucks..........now you don't have to worry about the first scratch on your new bike. I'm glad you weren't hurt worse... Keep the rubber side down...

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Thats' too bad..

Do you know why you went down? Different tires, psi, or not used to the bike?

I just switched over to Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX tires and I ran them with 105 psi on my 3rd ride (experimenting) and the rear tire felt very squirrelly on the descents. If the road would have been wet I probably would have gone down. I went back to 115 and no problems.

But look at it this way, you got the crash out of the way....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I think it was conditions, wet shoulder, windy as hell.

Dinosaur said:
Do you know why you went down? Different tires, psi, or not used to the bike?

I just switched over to Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX tires and I ran them with 105 psi on my 3rd ride (experimenting) and the rear tire felt very squirrelly on the descents. If the road would have been wet I probably would have gone down. I went back to 115 and no problems.

But look at it this way, you got the crash out of the way....
It was a turn I've made hundreds of times, guess I just leaned the bike over too far for the conditions. And yes, there is something to say about "getting it out of the way". Fortunately the parts were from another ride, it was the frame I was worried over and I got lucky there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ugh, that's a drag

Glad you weren't really hurt.

Laying down a new bike is a drag. I laid my Pinarello down w/ less than 1k miles on it and I was fairly upset. I can only imagine the frustration of dropping a new bike on it's maiden voyage. But stuff happens. At least you didn't damage the frame, I too was fortunate in that regard.

Here's to your next ride being a lot more fun.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Similar story

rusa1586 said:
I did the same thing on a Honda 750 years ago. I was ok, the bike was easily fixed, but my pride still hurts.
My brother sold his fairly trick Yamaha R1 (1000cc road racing model) last year. It had many performance mods and mint plastics. It was a sick bike. The new owner looped it at over 60mph in less than an hour and totaled it. Stuff happens.

·
Done
4,589 Posts
I Feel Your Pain...I Destroyed A Bike On It's Maiden Run

mainframe said:
Yup. I destroyed a brand new semi-custom Dean on its maiden run. Hit by a car (a teenager pulled out in front of me -- I went over the hood). It sucked.

It all worked out in the end, though. Just have the attitude you got the heartache of the first scratch, etc., over with early.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i'm alwways careful on new bikes

after i ended up on my back after i got my first real road bike as a teenager. one second i was standing going up a hill, the next i was upside down! to this day i have no idea what happened, but i'm still really, really careful on a new ride!

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
rusa1586 said:
I did the same thing on a Honda 750 years ago. I was ok, the bike was easily fixed, but my pride still hurts.
H3ll, I dropped my BMW motorcycle on its side the FIRST HOUR I owned it! There it was, my baby laying on her side, wheels spinning helplessly in the air...

There's an attaction between new toys and the ground that needs to be broken quickly lest the attraction become strong enough to cause a serious fall...

Good thing you got yours out of the way early!

Mike

·
Administrator
13,099 Posts
Even worse

I was riding with a good friend the first day he got his shiny new custom Titus Ti Racer-X- the thing was mint. He let me ride it for a short stretch of trail. I was following him, when he detoured off the trail for a fallen tree. I followed his line and somehow hit a stick which ripped off his rear derailler and snapped his derailler hanger. :(

Ahhhhhggggrrrrrggggg!

That was a good feeling. . . .

(only needed a new hanger fortunately, Titus got one out pretty quickly).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.