Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding an older 2001 5900 Trek with ksyrium SSC SL wheels which I still like a lot, but WOW, what a bike the C-50 is!! I am a fair rider, better than some worse than others. (I really like hills) I did not think at my level I could tell a difference, but I could. I love it, not to mention I love the paint job.
I do have a question regarding the fit of the bike. Some of you knowledgeable people may be able to help me. When getting fit for the bike and in past professional fittings one of the things people have said was "while in the drops you shouldn't be able to see the front hubs" Now this was along with other measurements of course. When I was fit for this bike on the serrota fit bike the guy said that really didn't matter. Well, now I have my new bike I and I feel a little far forward on it. My feet are in a great position and my saddle feels good, but when I am in the drops I really see the hubs ( maybe a half inch). In the past when I was climbing I have used the handle bars as a counter to pull on while going up the hill. Now the bars seem to close and I find myself dropping my hands over the shifters to use. I also feel really forward while going up hills.
I am 6'0 160 and was riding a 58 Trek which has a t-t of 57.2 and I purchased the 58 C-50 that has a t-t of 56.3. The 59 was a little too large. On my old bike I was using a 110 stem so I thought increasing it to a 120 would make the adjustment.
So am I just use to a different bike and need to get use to how this now fits or does it sound like I should get a 130 stem? Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Colnagos are sort of designed around using long stems. Try a longer one. It might well work out nicely.

PS - I am reading your reports with interest. C-50s interest me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The "while in the drops you shouldn't be able to see the front hubs" is the measurement to be ignored, it really is a very rough rule of thumb and will obviously change depending on such things as the length of your neck! I agree with the above poster that a Colnago should have a longer stem for aesthetic reasons and have heard that the frame was designed for a longer stem also, not sure if that is true.
Firstly, check that your old Trek and the C-50 have the same STA, that will affect the reach even if the TT is identical. Also if you feel too far forward you shouldn't go for a longer stem. Is the saddle to bar drop the same on both bikes? Take all the measurements from your Trek and compare them to the C-50, are your following the KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) on both bikes? Start from there and work forward.
I would ride the bike a bit more and see if you adapt to the new fit. I am 6'.1.5" and ride a 61 cm (measured c-to-t) C-50, so about a 59 cm (c-to-c). A stem is a very easy replacement. You didn't cut the steerer yet did you?

Which paint scheme did you get? I saw a geo this past weekend, I wish I had got that now!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts